8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » OSI'S challenge .... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: OSI'S challenge ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody, I offered this challenge on the other film forum, and I also offer it here, this is it, (this is largely cut and pasted from my original message) ...

I understand that ****, It probably does limit my sales a little. (referring to the truth that my sales are limited due to these film arriving "cored" in the first place), I think that in the future, if I allow this fellow to send me anymore films, they MUST be on reels in the first place as, quite frankly, It's kind of a hassle in the first place to deals with these cores.

*** does bring up a grand point, therefore, I offer this challenge ...

I have always assumed that for a film to be cored, it is simply not on a reel, but is wound firmly and secured safely with some form of tape ...

Others, (***, *******, for instance), assert that for film to be "cored", it must have some form of "hub" in the middle, be it plastic, metal ect.

Therefore ...

I offer a challenge ...

I have just spent the better part of an hour attempting to find on the internet, ANYTHING that would serve as evidence to either argument, concerning what constitutes a "cored" film.

If anyone can prove, whether from old dusty books (photo please) or from any other source, that for a film to be cored, it must have some central hub on it ....

Then I, upon my word, will publicly apologize to Micheal O Reagan, plus all, on both forums, that I was wrong and will, as of that time, also remove any reference to the term "core" on any further ebay auctions.

I don't think I'm wrong, but I am also not the sum of all knowledge and besides, I LOVE to factually learn anything new about film, so I and all of you benefit as well! ...

Therefore, to the books men! To the internet, men! To any source that is credible, reliable, ect. [Big Grin]

and I happily offer that challenge on here as well. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I don't have a problem with that, but I would like to be proven wrong before I alter the way I sell, (for, for all we all know, I might well be right!).

Please note: what will accepted as evidence will be actual authoritative proof, whether internet, books ect, and not just "personal opinion", as I could do that as well, but quite frankly, my opinion doesn't hold anymore water than yours, and visa versa.

All the best, folks!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 07, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

You may be right in terms of lexical semantics, however I don't believe eBay will support this line of reasoning when the buyer escalates the case to eBay Customer Support. I think for the most part people are merely trying to insure that your buyer knows exactly what he or she is bidding on and at the same time protecting you from having to deal with a dissatisfied customer.
Waiting to change your auction's description until you're presented with empirical evidence seems ill advised.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If anyone can prove, whether from old dusty books (photo please) or from any other source, that for a film to be cored, it must have some central hub on it ....
Oh, for goodness sake! [Confused]

Look, it doesn't really matter one way or the other whether this can be proved or not.
In the film collecting world, the general acceptance is that "Film is cored" means that the print is on cores.
The chances are that your prints will be bought by someone from said film collecting world.
Therefore, I don't understand why you would state "Film is cored" in an auction if there is even the slightest chance that you might mislead a prospective buyer.

None of this makes any sense, Osi.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 07, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This whole subject has become as if a dentist pulled a tooth, wedged it back in and then pulled it again!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Have a look at this. Go down to "Motion Picture Technology" and then further down to the fourth paragraph which starts... A "Split Reel".......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 04:08 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really want to get involved here but the most basic meaning of a core is as follows:

"A central and often foundational part usually distinct from the enveloping part by a difference in nature."

And in my limited experience, films are said to be either "on reels" or "on cores", therefore a cored film is assumed to be actually on a core.
So technically, while Osi's films are wound similar to cored films, the lack of the foundational part ie: the core, means that the films are indeed not cored, just wound without a reel.

In the end, it would be up to the pickiness of the buyer as to whether or not this is an issue. As far as terminology, it seems to me that although Osi is incorrect technically, for all intents and purposes his technique seems to result in the same effect as coring.

I would be interested to know that if when using Osi's method, how stable is the wind without the foundation?
Is it more likely to collapse in on itself and wreak havoc?
Or once you have achieved the platter shape, does it remain whole no matter the lack of a core?

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://youtu.be/wItyu46Hw2Q Have a look at this (to the end)

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why people here prefer to be in hot debate. I started a new topic that is still in line with this very subject and yet it is not getting any response, at least until now.

Even in 'Osi Coring Video' I raised this matter and offered a help to Osi in getting those cores, and Osi answers in different way about how many 200' reels he has to use it for GWTW print. Michael has also revisited this forum and prefer to join in this possibility to become another hot debate rather than to answer my question in that threads.

So I took these two photos from my abandoned thread:

-

-

My only question now in related to 'Osi's challenge', if I put this in the centre of film, can it is called as a core?

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you attach a split reel to it?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 07:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, my question is if that small plastic thingy placed in the middle of film which is not spooled on a reel, can we call it as a core? I am not asking the method.

Perhaps can I get opinion from other members?

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 07:42 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a split reel can be attached to it than yes it is a core. If not and you need a home made device to use it then I would be careful calling it a core. I would think the majority of film collectors would consider a core something to be used with a split reel.

I can see the new header at the top of the forum:

No Politics, Religion or Cores

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you are on a (genuine) La-Z-Boy you call it "sitting" and when it is on (a look like) La-Z- Boy you will be careful calling it "sitting".

Ok that's fine with me... [Big Grin]

May I get opinion from other members, can that small plastic thingy be called 'core' no matter how we use the method to spool film on it.

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain why films are put on cores at all?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 08:04 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, chair's a chair.

And a core with a film on it needs a split reel to safely transfer to a reel. What you are showing needs the use of a home made device if it can't be attached to a split reel.

This is really not a hard concept, is it?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 09:12 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Paul... I, too, have always wondered why a film wouldn't be wound onto a reel if you're going to the trouble of winding it onto a core from which it would have to carefully be untaped and re-wound (is there such a word?) back onto a reel anyway in order to project it. Doesn't a cored film take up just as much space as a reeled film? So, what's the benefit derived from coring? Oy Vay!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

In my view my answer to your question would be "yes" we used to get 35mm trailers mounted on cardboard cores, that you would stick your finger into when fast winding them off, and onto the plastic cores that fit onto the 35mm split reel.

Paul.
As far as 35mm is concerned, having the film arrive and dispatch on cores is a lot cheaper and easier to post due to the saving in size and weight. You simply attach your split reel as shown below and wind the film onto larger reels and later onto a platter....reverse to brake down the print

However, although that's standard cinema practice in 35mm for good reason.... that does not apply to Super8.
 -
This is a film I did a couple of weeks ago....once I attach the split reel to each reel then its just a case of winding and joining onto the 6000ft.
 -
On the left is the film, on its core fitted to a 35mm split reel.

Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 10:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, this is a matter to cut the shipping cost. This especially applies for 16mm and 35mm where the weight of a reel is very significant while reels are abundant in the country of destinantion. Most films in the day of celluloid theatre were shipped through the extra express forwarder in order to chase with the scheduled screening time. And this kind of shipping is very expensive.

Bill, I am in Indonesia so it is a day time now. I am awake. You are in the northern hemisphere, so better to take a sleep... [Big Grin]

Graham, you are in the southern hemisphere like me, so you are awake. You replied just exactly like what I wrote here. Just a minute different. Your explanation is much reliable because you used to be a professional projectionist. Thanks for giving the answer about the term of 'core'.

While those in northern hemispheres are sleep, can I get the opinion from other members live in the northern hemisphere right tomorrow morning please....

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 11:18 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,

I've been following these threads a little and the best I can do is offer information I found through the Kodak website. The logic here really is that a film core in cinematography, is a tangible object although film--in a way, does have it's own invisible "core".

CORES AND SPOOLS

KODAK Motion Picture Films are available on several types of cores and spools, each appropriate to the design of the equipment used to expose the film.

A plastic core is typically used with all 35 mm films in lengths over 100ft (30 m) and with all 16mm films in lengths over 200ft 61 m).

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat _en_motion_newsletters_filmEss_11_Film_Specs.pdf

More information here on page 27 of the Film Preservation site:

http://www.filmpreservation.org/userfiles/image/PDFs/fpg_3.pdf

So, the wording on the auction here really should be something like: "the film is wound tightly without a spool, the new buyer will need one for projecting the print."

Or, instead if "cored", simply state the film is "coiled".

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 11:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert

I took this photo this evening which I think "sums" it up.

On the left of the photo, the trailer came with a cardboard "core"....from the film company.

On the right.....it came without one..."no core" and if I was to pass it on to someone else, I would tell them that this trailer comes "without a core".

For 35mm its not a problem, but to sell a Super8 film like that...it is.
 -

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 01:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the definition of the word "core" from the International Federation of Film Archives which was formed in 1938 and is a world organization that sets best practices for handling, storing, projecting film..

CORE
A cylinder used as a centre for winding film, usually plastic, originally wood

The term "core" being used to describe a physical piece of something at the center with film wrapped around it began literally with the original film in the 1890's. In the early days film was wrapped on wooden cores about 1 inch - 1 1/2 inch in diameter from the raw stock to the film placed in the camera and then on the original projectors. A small cylindrical post would be slid through the wooden core to hold it in place on the projector and it would run through the machine and into a basket on the floor.

I believe ALL 35mm motion picture film used in cameras have been on cores since the beginning and still to this day...Reels have only been used for projection, and when the film stock got smaller, Kodak introduced small reels (and cartridges) so that it was easier for the consumer to handle the film in conjunction with cameras.

Paul in addition to the shipping cost concerns, films are put on cores for the following reasons... Most lab machines are so precisely designed that having the film on reels would be detrimental and possibly damage the machine, or cause the film to wrap up loosely, so basically anything coming straight from a film lab (unless it is 8mm) will be on a plastic core...Also since the 1920's the best practice for storing film long term in any sort of horizontal fashion has been on cores...I have attached a small image of an excerpt from a 1921 issue of the Society of Motion Picture Engineers (now SMPTE) that describes this practice.....

You will probably never find an actual definition for the term, because obviously the term "cored" is not a "technical" term, but a slang term only. It has, however grown out of essentially 100 years worth of professional and technical discussions about the handling of film that is wrapped around little wooden, metal and plastic cores.

Even the general definition of the word core stands for a physical "something" at the center of something else.

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

Thanks for that...that was an interesting read.

Well Osi...now you know what a "core" is....time to change your GWTW add...don't you think? [Wink]

Graham.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 02:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems a bit daft putting super 8 films on cores at home as its such a small gauge to store. Labs I can understand but at home?
Super 8 cores were mainly used in the lab when new prints were made folks. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 02:43 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be a couple of different types of cores too. Winbert's picture looks like one that would fit on a super 8 machine. The ones I have from the optical sound films have a larger hole about 1" with just one slot like Mal's youtube link.

Another question what tape do you use to go round the film?

Looks like someone is buying films on spools and then selling them on cores! and selling the spools too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 02:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has, however grown out of essentially 100 years worth of professional and technical discussions about the handling of film that is wrapped around little wooden, metal and plastic cores.
Thanks Dino for the explanation. From something you wrote above, coring fim (to wrap film on a core) has nothing to do with the method, whether using a split reel or fingers like Graham told above, right? The most essential is that film is wrapped around little wooden, metal and plastic cores.

David thanks for the confirmation.

quote:

Looks like someone is buying films on spools and then selling them on cores! and selling the spools too.

I think it could become a norm in the near future knowing that 1200' reels are become scare now. In fact just two months ago someone in Belgium was selling a feature of a not-known film which was spooled on 2 * Elmo metal reels. Film was sold for $30 only while the price for an Elmo 1200' metal reel is already between $30-$50.

But it will depend on how big is the demand of super 8mm film collecting in the future.

Ok can i get next comment from other members please.

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a 35mm projectionist (retired) at one time we used to have old films for showing on a Sunday only, this was an attempt by British cinemas to avoid Entertainments Tax.

As plastic cores over time have a habit of cracking and falling apart often the 2000' lengths would arrive with a tightly rounded piece of newspaper in its centre. Most cinemas kept a few cores for use, but rarely would send them away with a film.

Unless there is a centre of some sort the film will travel into an "egg" shape and could become quite lose and be difficult to handle when it arrives at a cinema.

If such a film was received we had some wooden cores which were turned down from standard size so that they would slide easily into the film which at a previous cinema had been initially wound onto a plastic core which had been removed before packing for transit.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC