8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Responses Needed! Pricing On New Reel Image Releases (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Responses Needed! Pricing On New Reel Image Releases
Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 20, 2014 08:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne of the Reel Image asked me to post this message:

I just received pricing for the new polyester stock and striping. Factoring in the high postage rates from Europe and the currency exchange rates, the following are the prices for new releases:

A 30 minute digest would be approximately $279.
A 7-8 minute short/cartoon would be approximately $69.
The average trailer would be approximately $35.

So please make your opinions known (post here, call me, email me) as to whether you would pay these prices if you wanted that particular release. By the way, these prices only get me to the break even point.

We have some possibilities in the works, however I don't want to go ahead with any new releases if collectors feel the prices are too high.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Steve Osborne
The Reel Image
937-296-9036
thereelimage_043 at yahoo.com

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 01:45 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer is I would pay any of those prices depending on titles...

Long answer I think the short cartoons like the pixar ones or that new Disney, Wallace and Gromit type stuff would always sell well at those prices, good trailers are always fun and seem very reasonable given the fact that labs are scarce..

I still hope for some features to come through, but the digests if desirable ones could sell. I'd love something from the first half of Super 8 when they are making their movie...I would also love to have some cool older horror material like maybe excerpts from things like Creepshow, Tales from the Crypt, the trailers from the Grindhouse ...I think horror and sci-fi are always safe bets for people paying the $279 for 30 minutes...I think the digests would really need to be researched first to make sure a certain amount will sell..I would buy certain titles, but have no real interest in Marvel superheroes...I would offer up 35mm negatives from silent shorts I preserve if people would want them, but it seems nowadays the collectors only want new films, not classics.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 03:14 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it would be better value to release trailers on a 200ft reel with maybe 4 trailers? The head & tails could be left on.

Like the old Thunderbird reels, or with more trailers the old LA Films 400ft.

Would have to on a theme I think? All the 'Dirty Harry's' the first five 'Pink Panther's' or horror, war, westerns.

Although I would be more choosier over what I buy.

I personally prefer the older releases, the newer stuff does nothing for me, with the odd exception. I was going to mention T2 but that's not really new now.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 04:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For collectors in the UK the price conversions are:-

30 minute digest.....£175
7/8 minute short.....£43
Trailer..............£22

On top of these is the transportation cost, British Value Added Tax @ 20%, and a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

--------------------
Maurice

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 04:38 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, the Pink Panthers. Great idea! (not Steve Martin's ones, much as I admire him). I'd also love to see the Terry Gilliam/Monty Python short, "The Crimson Permanent Assurance" released. Realistically, i'm not sure who would buy that except me and Osi!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 05:57 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, can you make CINESEA again, maybe another of your nice screenings? - Shorty

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 06:34 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would pay those prices....but not for films I've no interest in. That's the key....finding something for which you have superb original printing material...and something which be of interest to the broadest cross section. Frankly I'm sick of trailers, however.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been a huge fan of digests (I prefer extracts actually). So I would be reluctant to spend that much on a digest, although I hate to say "never".

-A 30 minute complete short film that really interested me, I think I would find a way to make it happen. (No morning coffee at work for 6 months?)

The other prices are not out of line given how tiny the market for new Super-8 prints has become.

Wayne Tuell asked a few years ago if there was a market for Super-8 prints of his Drive-In theater daysets and I was all over it. It's possible that I'm the whole market for them based on the end result.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice I suppose if they are printed in Germany? The prints could be sent direct to the UK. Cutting out a bit of the postage costs, and no import duty/VAT extras. Unless that is striping/recording needs to be done in America.

Jonathan, Agree about Steve Martin version didn't find it very funny.

Gary I find the modern trailers very poor, some of the older ones, some examples 'Gold' 'Shout At The Devil' 'Zulu' 'Lawrence Of Arabia' 'Where Eagles Dare' 'The Spy Who Loved Me' Moonraker' these were almost 4 minute cut-downs. Now they were good.

Steve, If digest are done 30/60 minutes would be OK. Some of the old 400ft were badly done. Disney had the right idea just a couple of scenes on 1 reel.

Just had a look at Drive-In theatre daysets. Now these would be fantastic to have. I also enjoy some of the older adverts.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 10:12 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would still be willing to pay that much for some shorts especially for Ice Age shorts and for some Pixar shorts as well. I would love to see Surviving Sid short on 8mm [Smile] I'm not a trailer or digest person so I wouldn't buy any of those (although I did buy the Captain America digest to help support it).

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like Steve's idea of extracts over digests, so that you can get some exciting or interesting scenes from a film, rather than someone attempting to re-edit the movie into 30 minutes like the old days..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the UK side of things I think CHC just got a few nice bits in including a new bond sequence and at least one of the great more recent little pixar type shorts and more new items on the way. May be there now.

Best Mark.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. [Smile]

I am with Zechariah. No trailers or digests for me. Will happily pay $69 for almost any respected short/cartoon.

One question though. How is the sound quality on the 'Captain America' digest? I was surprised to receive visually stunning prints with poor sound from the likes of Derann, Ken, Red Fox, etc.. Feel free to correct me, if I am wrong in saying so.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 06:53 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would pay those prices for the trailers & shorts but a digest reel would have to be a really good title.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2014 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Back, Akshay!

There is a review of the Captain America digest in the reviews section: very popular topic, always near the top.

I saw it myself a couple of CineSeas back. It is a beautiful print and the sound was just as good.

Digest features are a respected art form among a lot of small gauge fans: it's not just a case of the movie itself, it's the skill that the editor shows (even the stinkers have a "so bad it's great" quality to them). It's also nostalgic among 8mm collectors that before the VCR showed up this was the only way regular people could own a film.

To me these really aren't for general audiences: you're going to be called on to explain why you spent ten times what the DVD cost and didn't get the whole movie.

-that's a tough sell!

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 07:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question I would like to ask "Are the new Polyester prints have a balance stripe or just the main stripe ?"

If there is the main stripe only I'd rather stick with the Acetate and its cheaper too (I think). Im not put off by the slight yellow tint either on the Acetate, but I dont like the idea of not having a balance stripe and you cant re record it in to stereo obviously.

Graham S

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 11:36 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine with those prices but just like others here, it really depends on the title.

If we are going to see titles of recent films as digests, I'd rather it be films that were shot on film ie Django, Dark Knight, Star Trek.

There were moments in the Captain America digest where I can see the shutter degree of the Alexa. Kind of took me out of the moment.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 22, 2014 02:28 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said above, it will meanly depend on the tittles. I am not a digest fan neither, but I have to admit that some of them are (or should I say were) well edited (but in some cases, you loose too much of the story, it dépends probably also on the story itself and not only on the personn who edits, it may be difficult to "summarize" some films when it may be easy for others, how can you, for example, explain that a caracter appears or disappears without a too long unwanted scene that explains it). By the way, it is not easy to buy nex super 8 releases as they don't appear clearly on a web page with the possibility to pay with a credit card or with Paypal.

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 22, 2014 03:05 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would pay 69 for a cartoon of old Disney's (not the digests from films, for sure) like Der Fuhrer's Face, which is a title I'd really love to own

Would it mean a 90 minute would be 3x279 or would it be cheaper, as I expecet it's less work doing a whole movie without editing???

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 22, 2014 08:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer digests over extracts, and I'm not a big trailer collector. I'd like to see more full length shorts or cartoons.

I don't believe there's a choice involved with polyester or acetate. The lab is no longer working with acetate stock.

I'll need to check with Steve, but I think that current polyester releases are mono. The ability to put mag stripe on poly is a recent development and the process for putting a thin balance track is still being worked out.

I would guess that a feature would cost less than 3x279, however not much less.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing for Steve O. to do is publicly offer a title and ask for commitments before he does the deed, maybe sweeten the pot with "first to buy get a discount".

If he could at least get to break even this way it would be worth it.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 22, 2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they can only stripe Poly Mono Doug. A few of us have been looking at setting up main and balance striping in the UK particularly for amateur film makers who use Poly stock but its all up hill I have to say. [Roll Eyes]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2014 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prices are fine. In fact, very reasonable. I prefer digests over extracts. Isn't a balance stripe necessary to prevent the print from running "jittery" through a projector? My CHINONs don't run prints too well that don't have the balance stripe.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 23, 2014 04:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can remember Kodak issued its sound film with balance stripe from day one with no intention of recording on it and was designed to optimise helping keep the film flat in the projectors gate. Pretty quickly twin track projectors became available and the rest is pretty much history. You may well notice that single striped films do focus a little soft on one side of the projected picture as result. The last time I had contact with the lab they hoped to offer balance stripe as well on Poly stock and I’m guessing that the old stock they had of Acetate has now run out so all prints will be mono. The yellow tone to the old stock was not a pretty watch for me although extremely grateful to obtain some of the releases which otherwise we would not have had.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 23, 2014 04:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was well off as many people are in this hobby I would pay the prices, but-
I am an average earner and could never justify £170+ for 30 minutes of film as much as I would love to. £40+ for 10 minutes???
So being very honest the simple answer is no. not with the sound systems and picture projection of Blu-ray, (I know its not the same, and do very much love my cine films), I just couldn't justify to my family or friends when viewing a movie that runs for half hour that I just paid over £170 for it. Unless its guaranteed never to scratch or fade for life
[Big Grin] [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC