8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Wien Imperial Type P8 8mm Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Wien Imperial Type P8 8mm Projector
David Singer
Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with this projector? I'm confused by the apparent film transport mechanism on the BACK side of the projector (or is it for audio tape). There is nothing in the Super8 Data Base site relative to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Eumig-Wien-Imperial-Type-P8-8mm-Projector-in-Box-Made-in-Austria-/360887740824?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Regards

--------------------
David Singer

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it's for audio tape... it's a synching device. Its' Standard 8... which is why the Super 8 site doesn't mention it!
Looks to be in good nick.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,I had a Eumig Imperial many years ago, and the syncing to audio tape was very good for the most part. Not quite good enough for lip-sync (and it was not intended for that) but fully satisfactory for music and narrative sound tracks.
The tape was fed over the rollers on the back of the Eumig.One of the rollers was on a swinging arm which varied the speed of the projector to keep it in step with the audio tape. You strted up with a marked frame in the projectors gate aperture and a mark on the tape at the audio head.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Singer
Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 03:15 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Martin and Paul, I was sure someone would know.

Regards.

--------------------
David Singer

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 03:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't like the sound of "nothing happens when I plug it in". At least the motor should run, even if the drive belt has fallen apart.
However, as the rear section is connected electrically to the main part of the projector via contact points, it is possible that these have corroded and just need cleaning and brightening up.

--------------------
Maurice

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a good time to mention that the whole drive train is live in these projectors so great care must be taken and any tinkering done with the power firmly off.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC