8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-600M Plays Fast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-600M Plays Fast
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy All-

My Elmo ST-600M plays fast at 24FPS. Can anyone tell me how to fine tune the speed.

Thanks!

Tim

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 23, 2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim thee are 2 little adjustable potemeters in the back, with a small flat screw driver slot in but I can`t remember which does the 24fps.

Its usually when you go from the origional v belt to a round section one, or they can just seem to alter a little some times.

I`ve got the info on which one in an email somewhere so I will try to dig it out, but someone else will know.

Its an easy sort.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 23, 2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick to adjusting these is the transport has quite a bit of inertia, maybe due to the flywheel, so it is maddening to adjust:

You twist the pot until the pitch of the sound is pefect, you lean back in satisfaction, but then notice that the speed has continued to change. It was too slow before, now it's too fast, or vice versa. So now you apply the driver again and wrench it the other way, and overshoot it again!

Small changes, let it settle out, listen, make further small changes, more settling, more listening.

-otherwise you can wind up chasing the frame rate all over the map!

Sorry. I don't know where the pots are on an ST-600. I have an ST-800

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2014 10:22 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking from the back of the projector, the 24 fps pot is on the right. One way to adjust the speed is to put a marker line on one of the sprockets. There are 18 teeth on the sprocket. It will turn one revolution for every .75 seconds at a correct 24 fps. Use a stopwatch and start the watch as the line hits the top. Count forty revolutions and stop the watch. If it is right on speed, the watch will have stopped right at thirty seconds. If the projector is running fast, it will be less than thirty seconds, and vice-versa. Make adjustments to the pot until it is as close to thirty seconds as possible. You can also do the 18 fps pot this way, except you will count thirty revolutions.

--------------------
John Hermes

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 23, 2014 10:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to build a device that captures the flashes of light coming out of the lens and changes their frequency into a voltage that I can read on a voltmeter, but then again I have about ten projects in front of it, including stuff like "paint the front door" and "cut down that really ugly tree in the back yard before it falls on the shed".

(Best intentions...)

--------------------

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are awesome! Thanks soooo much!

Steve- Don't let the tree hit the shed or the s**t will hit the fan! [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 24, 2014 09:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I may work a compromise:

I'll cut it down and while I'm at it it may fall on the shed anyway!

--------------------

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK- I've opened the back of the ST-600 and cannot seem to find anything where I would adjust the speed! HELP!!!!

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 01:15 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy, on all the ST-600 projectors I've seen (including the three I have) there is a 1 1/2" x 3" board about right in the center (just to the left of the big transformer), with two small trimpots facing you on the front edge of it. The pots are very small, about 1/4" diameter. The one on the left is for 18fps and the one on the right is for 24fps. I've seen some ST-180 models with the board and pots toward the very back of the projector.
 -

--------------------
John Hermes

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it John! That helps a lot! Looking at them right now!

They each have a small rectangular shaped hole in them. I'm guessing you insert a small screwdriver and turn these to fine tune the speed?

Really- Thanks for taking the time to take and post a pic. I really, really appreciate it. [Smile]

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 11:18 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I could help, Timothy. They make a insulated screwdriver-like tool specifically for adjusting pots, bladed on one end, open on the other for a different type pot. You can use a small regular screwdriver, but make sure it has a plastic handle or your body resistance will interfere the adjustment. It is an easy adjustment. Good luck.

--------------------
John Hermes

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC