8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Soundstriping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soundstriping
Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted March 31, 2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wandering of it is possible to soundstripe film after development. I saw on a dutch site that a company who makes single 8 doesn't sound stripe once it is developed.

I want to know this because I may have a project with which I want the same sound and music as the digital vers ion.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 06:25 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I've always known film to be striped AFTER processing.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 31, 2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Kodak had a pre-striped printing stock.

Robin,

Here's an earlier thread about sound striping. The Reel Image striping service mentioned in the thread never materialized.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 11:18 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of sound stripers including a professional dual stripe weberling I bough from eBay Germany and got a travel adapter for it to run on USA 120v 60Hz (That's mains for you on the other side of the pond. [Razz] ) My intent when I got them was to bring sound striping back to this side of the pond... But I've had too many other things going on. I know Konton (On Filmshooting.com) had bought all of Paul Yost's gear years ago including a milling machine to stripe contact prints. Depending on what happens over my sabbatical year and afterward, I may take a shot at it again. I need to call Paul (If he's still alive) and see if he still has a large supply of stripe. Konton may have a bunch also. We'll see what shakes out. Mostly I'd like to stripe my own scenic films with music, narration, whatever. I think it would be nice to get films striped in the USA again.

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound striper that was in Osi's video of his Super 8 collection belongs to Steve Osborne and was what he was going to stripe with, but since it is missing a couple of pieces Osi was unable to get it running so I told Steve I would give it a shot since it sounds like it is just simple parts that could be machined. It is currently being shipped to me at my film archive and I will be giving it a very serious try since I work with a number of indie Super 8 filmmaker's and I think it could be a very beneficial thing to have up n running...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted April 01, 2014 01:00 AM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone,

So there is no company or person anymore can soundstripe or provide the service anymore? If I understand correctly.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2014 02:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Robin, it got a little off topic, but if you check out this thread there are links to 3 companies that still stripe

Striping discussion

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 01, 2014 02:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

"Agfa" also sold pre-striped film for silent cameras...for home striping the little Rexette striper works a treat "I have used it in the past" but it will only do the main stripe.

Graham.

Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted April 01, 2014 03:10 PM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesnt matter Dino.

Thanks everyone, now I know I can soundstripe my films an edit sound in it. Juist need a microfoon for my norris norrisound 1000 and a cable from a external sound carrier into my projector.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC