8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ken/Castle films etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ken/Castle films etc
David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember growing up i the 70s and was really into showing 8mm films that I would buy from Dept stores. I could also borrow them from area libraries. Of course they were all digests, 200', 400', etc.
I always wondered who exactly prepared the digests, and decided what to include in them. To that point where were they made/prepared? I was always curious to visit Ken Films in Fort Lee NJ to see what their HQ looked like. Wondering if anyone had any inside info to any or all of the above?
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prints were contracted out to a 3rd party film lab as was the case with all the other home movie companies of the day. KEN's business office in Fort Lee, NJ was indeed just an office. I actually visited their office back in the late 70s and it was a tiny little office located in a very normal looking building where other companies had offices, as well. I believe the films were warehoused elsewhere, but nearby because I actually was able to pick up a title they had back-ordered for me at the office. As far as the scene selection is concerned this was probably a joint effort between KEN's product development team and the film lab's staff editors.

David A Cooper
Junior

- posted April 07, 2014 10:04 PM      Profile for David A Cooper   Email David A Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased the Ken Films "Star Wars" F48 back in about 1980 or so on a 200' reel and several of my High School friends and I watched it at the local library on their super 8 projector. Before I had bought the Ken Films movie I had found several Kenner children's movie viewer toys at the local toy store that were movie cartridges of Star Wars. Being a Star Wars fanatic as a kid, I bought 5 different cartridges and soon realized that they were actually super 8 film inside. Of course I ripped them open and spliced them into the Ken Films Star Wars movie in the right order and had about 240 feet of movie.

About 10 years ago I found another Ken Films Star Wars F64 movie on ebay that was actually Color and sound and was 360 feet. This was select scenes and featured the Cantina Scene and the Destruction of the Death Star. I had never seen this one advertised in any of the Ken Films brochures or anything. I was amazed it even has sound. Have not yet seen it since I don't own a super 8 projector but have spliced the two films together and it is now over 500 feet.
 -

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2014 10:30 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David-

Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes, this digest you have there is the second 400 foot extract Ken Films released. Ken Films also released a 400 extract to The Empire Strikes Back about the time this was released. Then, about a year later, they released a second 400 foot extract to Empire. But, that was right as commercial super-8 was going away and BETA/VHS video was taking over (around 1981/82).

James.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2014 09:36 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hard set of digests to find! They've both long been on my "want" list. I have Both F48 200' Sound and Silent Star Wars. The silent has a bit more than the silent.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 04:45 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Didn't Ken Films begin on Park Ave in NYC close to United World/Castle; then moved to Ft. Lee in early 70's?

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC