8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Adventures Of The Wilderness Family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adventures Of The Wilderness Family
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did Derann package "Adventures Of The Wilderness Family", which was subsequently shortened to "The Wilderness Family". Was it one 400' or two 400'?
It's rather complicated due the fact that they also released "The Further Adventures Of The Wilderness Family" which carried the words "Part II".
I believe that both films were only issued as 400 footers, but I may be wrong.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2014 07:06 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I have the original "Adventures of the Wilderness Family" It was issued as two separate parts on 400ft spools. I spliced them together to make a very good 35 minute mini feature.The 2nd part followed on directly so no re-editing (apart from removing the front credits from the second 400ft) was needed.

Even poor old Derek admitted he got a little confused when he released the sequel 'The Further Adventures.....
For the life of me I can't remember if that was a single 400ft version or a two-parter.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2014 09:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal
Did the credits of part 2 say that it was part 2, or did they repeat the credits shown at the start of part 1?

--------------------
Maurice

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been over 30 years since I bought them so memory may be playing tricks, but I believe the credits on the 2nd part of the original film were the same as part one.
I wonder if any members here have a Derann catalogue from around that time,late 1979/early 80's? That may provide definite answers to the sequel.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As members know I have recently purchased a large film collection and am at the moment going through piles of film.

Currently I am examining Wilderness Family.

I have two Derann coloured clam shell cases which are identical "The Adventures Of The Wilderness Family"' there is no printed reference to being two parts, neither is there any numbering; however, a former owner has affixed a sticker to each box "Part 1" and Part 2".

There is a white box marked "Wilderness Family - Part 1", but it contains an 800' spool which holds something over 600' so it can hardly be Part 1.

There's also a 400' plastic case just marked "Wilderness Family - Part 1".

Now, a 400' Derann cardboard box marked "Further Adventures Wilderness Family" with a sticker "Part 2".

Never having seen the film/s or ever owned copies I am at quite at a loss at this moment. I'll guess have to get out a projector to run the lot to see what I have got.

It is quite surprising as I am coming across many repeated titles as I examine everything, it does seem surprising that a collector should possess multiple copies.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 07:45 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that - as I'm implied by Maurice above - that the 'Further Adventures' was also released as two 400' parts (I have both). If you look at some Derann lists/catalogues, you won't see evidence of Part 2 of 'Further Adventures', as it was released some time after the first part. I remember Derek referring to it at a Derann Open Day around 1984 and it represents a very rare example of a Derann 400' released AFTER the start of the 1980s revival. But they may have prepared a master earlier and only decided to release it after things picked up. They also sold nice trailers to both films in the 1980s, which I bought and put on the same reel.

I remember hearing more than once that the prints of one of the films was better than the other, because one used a 35mm master and the other 16. But as I only own the 'Further Adventures' releases, I can't compare them, so I wondered if anyone can confirm which the better one is for print quality?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 09:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wilderness Family part one is on SP and has the usual fading towards brown.
Wilderness Family part two is on unknown stock and is quite reasonable.
Further Adventures is on unknown stock and has beautiful colour, I only have the one part of this release.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 10, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - I was thinking in terms of how sharp the picture is, as an indication of which was from the 16/35 masters? Would you say 'Adventures' or 'Further Adventures' has the edge in this respect?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 10, 2014 09:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian
Sorry I can't give any comment on picture quality. They have not been projected. I have a large amount of films in the recent purchase. It seems that it will take forever to show them!

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC