8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Portland Films - Nostalgia Reigns !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Portland Films - Nostalgia Reigns !
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 05, 2014 04:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still checking films.

A yellow 400' box printed as CineVision Home Movies but with paper stickers "Superb Big Screen Home Entertainment" - says Portland Pete. Use our speedy mail-order service or call at our shop open 7 days a week. Portland Films Ltd., 55 Shaftesbury Avenue, London W.1.

What a glorious place that sounds, and open 7 days a week. Collectors never had it so good.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2014 04:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice. Portland Films was one of the first film shops I ever visited. From about 1979 until just before they closed forever. I used to get a "Stardust" mini breaks leaving Wakefield BR Intercity 125 First Class for extra £5 at 6pm get to London about 8pm get a film in, and Saturday visit Portland to spend a few pounds on films, also Harrods. Then a show. The value of these weekend breaks was fantastic, I did about five a year.

I picked up 'The Day Of The Triffids' scope feature for £20, and loads of Tom & Jerry's and other 200ft reels.

The shop could be here or here

Now time plays tricks on my memory the first link seems the correct place, but the second is the correct address. The shop if memory serves was L shaped with white wooden film holders down the middle. Heaven it was.

-
The full image

As you will see they had some other shops too. I visited 45 New Oxford St, but it was not Portland. Could have been Mountain Film or Movie Makers, Mountain were West Central Street, which was at the side of 45.

I do like going back in time to the good old days. Oh starting to feel old now and only 56.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 05, 2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I remember the address as being Shaftesbury Ave., or was that a different firm?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 05, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic memoirs David! I was unfortunately just born a little too late to be travelling to London from Manchester in 1979 but I can only imagine the excitement of what you did in that era during the absolute peak of super 8mm!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2014 05:22 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they changed the name a couple of times. I think Portland were the retail arm of Mountain Films. It was Portland I went to on 55 Shaftesbury Ave, and it could have been the Sunday morning before I returned home.

Anyone got any photos from when they were operating? In fact any company that was around at the time.

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 06:26 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I'm with you, I recall Mountain Films in Oxford St moving to Shaftsbury Ave and I think morphing to Portland Films. When they were in Oxford St I recall their Star Wars promos... cripes getting a print before the cinema release, cool!

Best,
Rick

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend used to work at Portland and that was in fact in Shaftbury Avenue. Spent many hours there in the evening behind the counter. Had many bargains when rhey sold off there Super 8 selection. Remember they sold the Cine Max projector that was the worst thing ever for film.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rember going to portland films i was just a kid and my dad gave me birthday money for films they where cheap and could get loads for a few pounds ,did lots of the 200ft and 50ft silent films also got one of those plastic projectors if you brought so many films ,think i visited it about 3/4 times was early 80s also had many film sent through the post ,also dealt with HOME MOVIES of barking at that time anyone rember that .

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home Movies of Longbridge Road, Barking. Sadly now only a distant memory. [Frown]

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes was a great place to get films ,i never visited but the woman on the phone was very helpfull and i brought lots of films through the post from there shame as with most film shops is long gone

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 03, 2014 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is, the first thing I thought was, "There was a super 8 company in Portland Oregon, and I was the last person to know?

Boy, they had some stellar titles!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the 200ft black and white silent horror films they sold for £2 make £10 ,i had hundreds wish i still had them ,not to sell but for my collection as hard to get nowdays ,good old portland films

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She was a really nice lady, always very pleasant. They ran a video library alongside the Super 8 sales so I used to go in the shop quite regularly as I hired videos every week. They sold up and moved away from London and continued trading I believe but no longer in Super 8 sales.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 03, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to call in the shop virtually every day on my way home from stage school in London and it was really amazing to see all those films lined up on the shelves. Going back a bit now but it was really a wonderful time in my life although the childhood work schedule was gruelling. I always say I worked harder as a child than I do today... but the cine shops were quite something including Mountain.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In reply to David Ollerearnshaw the shop was in the second Google photo not on the corner but the small white fronted one behind the lamp post to the right. I've just found a photo I took of it in the later days when they sold video as well.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2014 01:37 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one between the Steak House & Currency shop. Move a little and it changes into Headquarters Hairdressers, which I just searched for its at number 55.

Any chance of a scan of your photo?

--------------------

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Portland Films, I had a 400ft Harold Baim film 'The World of Wax' it was in B&W but original was colour, I also had 'Son of Dr.Jekyll' and 'Mighty Joe Young' 400' from them. I seem to remember Portland used to advertise in the Sunday papers and the Exchange and Mart.Always a bargain to be had....

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold Baim He did quite a lot of documentries and some great pop ones Swinging UK, UK Swings Again these are great little films. Bain Films Still miss all those film shop though.phttp://www.baimfilms.com/ Happy Times

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2015 02:11 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I went to Portland films in the early 1980's on Shaftesbury Avenue - tiny place but stacked to the rafters with 8mm. I remember buying quite a few castle cartoons - inspector willoughby and chilly willy - still got them and sound and colour are still great.

David

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found my Portland Films Membership card what memories
And has address at 45 New Oxford Street.
I also remember Home Movies at Barking they stopped selling
Super 8 films I think in the early 1980s

--------------------
t.smith

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2015 04:10 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have located the scan of the Portland Films Shaftesbury Avenue shop
 -
A bit shaky as taken by street lights at night.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 02:47 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that photo.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC