8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newbie to this site, a little about me..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie to this site, a little about me..
David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 08:25 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remeber as a kid wandering into our local Two Guys store here in Rochester, NY and seeing the stand up displays of 8mm films. Pretty sure that this was in the VERY early 70s as I was only about 7 or 8, and was already a projectionist at heart. I had never seen a lot of the films, especially the 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and there were 4 digests of that to be had.
So, I wound up buying the BW silent versions as my projector was silent. Later I was able to get a sound one and began collecting them. Later I found them at the local Kmart stores as well. I lost interest in the early 80s, and shelved my projector and films.
In the late 80s I got an AV Tech job in a rental house and began my interest in 16mm. I wound up getting an Eiki Zenon 4000p with 20 hrs on it. Then I got into the Big Reel and buying 2nd hand films. I got into setting up Fast Fold screens in my back yeard and showing the films at film parties, eventually hiring myself out to do this at other places, like campgrounds, birthday parties, etc.
Again, my interest wained and sold off the 16mm stuff, and got into digital projection.
I still have a soft spot for film, hence me being on this site.
So, I live vicariously through you guys in talking about 8 and 16mm film.
Great site!

|  IP: Logged

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I also bought my first Super 8 movie at a Two Guys: the 200' silent version of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE.

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had that as well!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome David!,

I remember those days when every department store had a rack of castle films. It was either in the photo department or the toy department.

I remember it particularly well because my family didn't have a movie projector and I kind of felt left out!

"Coppola" is an excellent movie name. Rochester is (or was) an excellent movie town. I think you'll do fine here.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I live next to Kodak, which "used" to be the film mecca.
The George Eastman house is here and they have a really cool projection booth. We also have other small indie movie houses.

I was an only child, so I was kind of spoiled as to gifts such as movie projectors, films, etc.
Pretty sure I still have Ken Films Star Wars 200', and 400', as well as Close Encounters.
The last waning days of my Super 8mm days I remember Marketing Films and I always wanted to get the feature of Saturday Night Fever in S8.

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome David!
from another newbie - Clay

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 02:22 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard David! I bought the DINOSAURUS 200', among others, at Two Guys back in the 1960s. It was a time when McDonald's sign read "over 1 million sold" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2014 06:17 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair warning, once you let film get back a hold of you, it's highly addictive. I've just come back from a 5 year hiatus myself.

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2014 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,

You are close enough to Syracuse that going to Cinefest should be very doable:

Cinefest

Have you ever been?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 05:48 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, yes at the high point of my 16mm collecting I attended one, maybe around 1997 or 98.
It was OK, but was dissappointed in the dealer room.
I was impressed with the room where they showed movies though.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC