8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Empire Strikes Back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Empire Strikes Back
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 24, 2014 07:48 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many digest versions were there of the film? I have a 1x400' that ends abruptly with The End after a battle sequence. Was there a 3x400' or 2x400' version?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 24, 2014 07:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 x 400'

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was interesting Pat back then was the order those 400ft extracts were released. The big one was the Original "Star Wars" years later "The Empire Strikes Back" soon after that one, Star Wars Pt2...then sadly as Super8 was on the way out in the late 1980s the last "Empire Strikes Back" Pt2.

Sadly over the years all my extracts have turned red [Frown] but the boxes still look good [Cool]

Graham.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 24, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the info guys. I have the 1st part and I am bidding on what I think is the second part. The box art is different. That's what made me think it was 2x400'. The part I have has "The End" in a odd place. Not really a good edit if it was 1x400'. The color on mine is still good.

Are the numbers on the spline different. Mine is F-63. I would assume part 2 is F-64?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2014 10:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Empire part 1 is faded but part 2 is on LPP and looks very good.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2014 07:17 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same with me. I have the two edited together on one 800 foot reel. Part one is brownish...part two still looks very good.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 26, 2014 05:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part one ends with the Millennium Falcon diving into the cave of the giant asteroid ("I hope you know what you're doing - Yeah, me too...")
Part two begins with the Executor leaving the asteroid field and Vader communicating with the Emperor. The box art is similar to the UFA design.
LPP prints of part one were struck in Dec. '82 so they are out there. They are a bit on the blueish side, though.
There's a 200ft version of part one (with sound on tape) but no additionnal sequences are included, as opposed to the 200ft reel released for Star Wars.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tim Robinson-Ayer
Junior

- posted April 26, 2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Tim Robinson-Ayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is F65 according to the photo on this site (I don't have mine anymore sadly). web page

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 26, 2014 07:02 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Tim! Now I know exactly what I am looking for.

PatD

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 12:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some versions of F63 end even more abruptly, losing the last couple of lines of dialogue and moving straight to The End before the Falcon enters the "cave".

Also, these copies don't have a fade out following Luke's attack from the Wampa, just a straight cut to the tracking shot of him lying in the snow.

You would guess this was due to trimming of the negative due to wear on later print runs?

The old rumour is that Ken planned a 3 x 400ft version, but became nervous given the 8mm market at the time, so only released a part 2 (F65); which might explain the slightly "rushed" feel to the editing of part 2, compared to the more comprehensive part 1.

As Jean-Marc points out, there is nothing extra in the 200ft version. Also, slightly unusual for UFA, but these versions are the same as the Ken.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 01:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 130 meters (about 400 feet) digest of Stars Wars (1, not Empire Strikes Back) is sold on Ebay. So far, it has raised 32 bids and 72 euros. Not cheap... http://www.ebay.fr/itm/LA-GUERRE-DES-ETOILES-SUPER-8-BOBINES-130M-COULEUR-SONORE-P-1977-FOX-F48-/251507888807?pt=FR_JG_Photo_Camescopes_Cameras&hash=item3a8f09d2a7

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC