8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 9 Pictures (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea 9 Pictures
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2014 07:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Time for images from the best little film show in the US:

-

Question: how do you know it's springtime in Wildwood, N.J.?

-

Answer: the palm trees have been assembled....

Gary Crawford and I had a lovely (early) trip up to the shore. We got there Thursday afternoon, and with the weather turning beautiful, a walk on the boardwalk was inevitable:

-

-

Further along, a bunch of guys were losing their marbles, so to speak (where else would you see this on the beach?):

-

And, like a familiar face, our hotel:

-

By Friday, most of the "usual suspects" had arrived, and soon the mix of soundtracks and stories began filling the air:

-

-

I am at the limit of pictures per post, so when someone writes a line or two, I can continue so we keep the whole thing as one thread.
(I am working tomorrow, so most likely it will be tomorrow night before I can post again.)

Enjoy,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claus ! I am waiting for the second part :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 11, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, keep 'em comin', Claus.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary took his usual place with his trusty Kodak Pageant, Elmo St-1200 AND Eumig. He had a nice mix of classic 1940es crime drama and newer features:

-

-

-

Doug had his corner all laid out with his Xenon GS-1200:

-

-

...and of course his famous (infamous?) Museum Table; more on that in a bit:

-

As always, the Franchettis held court with loaded tables:

-

Good to see father and son working together so well to help us keep the collector tradition alive:

-

That's it for this time; I am at the picture limit.
Stay tuned for more...

Claus.

[ May 12, 2014, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Claus Harding ]

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 12, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Pics Clause. More please!
What's that movie Doug is showing?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 12, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a real clean looking Pageant Gary has there.
Keep the pics coming, Claus.
[Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 12, 2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon ST-1200 looks like a GS-1200 or am I blind? (I am about to be)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 12, 2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Great job as usual. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Vidar,

Cancel that seeing eye dog! You are correct, that is a Xenon GS-1200.

Paul,

That film is a rare Columbia feature print of On the Waterfront.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice photos chaps...just one question about the "Kodak Pageant" shown...why is the top loop so big [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2014 08:34 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS of course...after all these years, I can still mix up the model letters... [Smile]

As for the top loop on the Pageant, you'd have to ask Gary; it seems to do no harm. His prints ran cleanly.

Claus.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great. Nice to see the tram running on the boardwalk that time of year. I'll have to try to make the one in May one of these years.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 13, 2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept a promise to myself and brought bikes down to ride on the boardwalk. It wasn't as good as I had hoped: we are more on-season now than other times so with everything open the boardwalk was a little crowded for riding bikes!

We arrived to the ominous sound of drums on all sides: there was a marching band festival in town! (The natives weren't restless...)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Klare family deserves a special mention:
As Steve noted, his wife was recovering from back surgery, but she still came along and it was a pleasure to meet her. If we had a "real trooper" award at the show, Mrs. Klare would definitely have won it:

-

We do have what amounts to a mascot by now: the Airyflex.
As long as it stays inflated, it comes to the show:

-

Time for some fine old machinery:

Here are some details of the Ampro Stylist 16mm, a tank of a machine, but also with its own period beauty to it:

-

The "crackle" metallic paint contrasted with the red is a nice piece of design:

-

I don't have a wide shot of it in action, but you will see it when we get to the video.

Here's a classic Bell and Howell, a machine that can pretty well run a lifetime:
 -

-

In addition to providing his usual excellent espresso and homemade cake...

-

...John Capazzo found time to fix Cinesea first-timer (and forum member) Ernie Zahn's ailing ST-1200:

-

That concludes it for this time; more to come....

Claus.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 13, 2014 10:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific, Claus!

It was wonderful to meet Trish Klare. They are quite a film family.... Steve made a poster out of his son's school composition from a few years back where he wrote about how Dad takes over the dining room table with his projectors!

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 14, 2014 12:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing those photos... and the drawing of the dining room table is really neat [Cool] well done.

Just having a good time and sharing it with others is what its all about [Smile]

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 14, 2014 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That composition would be downright libelous if it wasn't also true!

-although a lot of the reason we don't eat at the table relates to an entirely different piece of audiovisual equipment! Sometimes we do have dinner there even when the Elmo brothers are joining us!

I have to give my wife a lot of credit here. I brought her down expecting she'd spend a lot of time out on the sun deck with a book, but she was right there thumbing through the film boxes and enjoyed the show Saturday night as much as any of us did.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Clause for documenting this event so well. Its such a wonderful event for collectors. I almost feel like I was there [Wink] .

Steve- That marching band competition must be an annual event. They were there on one of my previous visits. Great story & illustration by your little one too by the way.

James.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty, after missing one show, was there, appropriately attired, of course:

-

...and our friend Paul Oscar from Iceland was back:

-

Turnout was good; as mentioned, Ernie Zahn joined us, as did Dave Baker:

-

-

Now about that Museum Table...behold the Bentley viewer, one of the many dubious attempts at making a film viewer "living-room friendly":

-

Seeing it in action, one is glad Bentley wasn't the company that invented the platter system...

-

A far better device was the Goko motorized viewer/editor. This was the Rolls-Royce of upright S-8mm viewers and Doug's is in mint condition:

-

Also, an Elmo audio sync device from when mechanical solutions were still in vogue. You would thread your reel-to-reel audiotape around the drum for the unit to keep sync between the projector and the reel-to-reel:

-

One or two more batches and that is about it....back again soon.

Claus.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 14, 2014 07:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 14, 2014 10:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific pictures Claus. Since I'm a projector junkie...I was very interested to see the variety of projectors displayed. Thanks so much...well done!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2014 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ACK ACK ACCK AAAAAAACCCKK!!

That Bentley! That dam**d Bentley!! I had one of those battery operated monstrocities in the past!! Boy, did that thing scratch the heck out of those little 200ft films I put on it.

ORG!! I still have nightmares about that Bentley and will probably have more, now that I have seen another!! [Frown] [Frown] [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 15, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I am SUCH an ugly cuss; gangly, goofy and guduh - I should miss shows more often

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 15, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks terrific !

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 15, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All your enthusiasm for this event is felt on this thread over the pond. Great to see a youngster enjoy film as well. [Cool]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice, glad you enjoy, and apologies to Osi for calling up nightmares with the Bentley (at least you recognized it.)

Once the show is underway, it has its own flow. People get lunch and come back, and the films keep rolling:

-

-

-

We even went 3-D this time, with "Creature from the Black Lagoon":

-

Come Saturday night, a tradition: the group dinner after a long day of films:

-

Good food, good company:

-

Nighttime back at the hotel after dinner. The late night screenings begin. Among the treats: some great condition classic cartoons:

-

"War of the Colossal Beast" looked great as well:

-

I'll conclude this in the next posting...

Claus.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC