8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S900 series inching knob help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S900 series inching knob help
Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, just wondering if anyone here who has or does use a Eumig 900 series, well I suspect most 900 series as I think most of them have what manual calls a inching knob on the rear of unit ( opposite end to lens.) From what manual says it allows for slower speed of projection to take almost stills of a film without burning. My S905 I got awhile back the knob got locked and since we got it loose, it appears only way projector will run as in motor, the project knob doesn't do anything. What should I be checking? Belt or something? Thanks in advance Phil

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 02:09 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get it loose? Does the knob still turn when the projector motor in running?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 02:39 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi thanks for reply,
Knob is not loose, well it this way one could say it is, if one presses in on it, it loosing thread I guess is a word for it.

Yes motor runs but only by like winding up the knob on rear. I' going to record a video of it and upload it to you tube, it may give people here better understanding rather than I trying to explain it. I'll post back with link in due course.

Cheers
Phil

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 03:58 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil.
My Eumig 905 inching knob does not turn until pressed in. Once pressed, it engages with the drive rod. I always assumed it was meant to be that way. If the projector doesn't run without performing this procedure first, I would suggest this points to a belt replacement being necessary. There are many who will say that the toothed belts on these machines should never need replacing, but I replaced mine and the projector now runs when the main switch is turned without having to mess with the inching knob.
regards
John

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 04:26 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, thanks for reply and info. Yes that seems right, by positing my query, got me thinking more about what is happening. I now feel inching knob is okay as I turned unit off and came back to it ( did that a few times) and initially fwd projection knob didn't start motor, but if I switched it to rewind, it kicked it as did fwd projection and light and sound. ( just tried it again and sure enough had to put switch to reverse first to get forward to work.

Probably needs a lube? Electronic lube my brother knows a little about it, he has these cans of solvent spray or something, I check with him tomorrow, if either of you guys have any suggestions let me know, and if you think it is more than a lube. Thanks Phil

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 14, 2014 08:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't go spraying lubricant around the inside of your projector. You will ruin it. Any lubrication should be done using local application, and very sparingly.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 14, 2014 03:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sound advice Paul, especially on these projectors as they rely entirely on decent friction between the rubber drive wheels to obtain the correct speed.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 11:10 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul and Andrew for advice. Noted.

Cheers
Phil

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2014 04:34 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Well lubricating seemed to make it worse.

The drive rod if that is right description is moving forward or back depending on which way I turn projection knob, but doesn't want to always kick in, especially forward and also 24fps seems worse that 18fps. There is a belt that is around a cog on the rod to right of frame rate knob, it seems okay. Any ideas on what I could check to se why motor doesn't seem to want to get in even though the rod moves to position. As per orignal post, I can always make it go by pushing in Inching knob and doing like a manual wind up start, but that surley isn't right.

I should add it sounds better running in reverse than forward when it does run. In fact it stopped on fwd projection after a few mins once.

Maybe it is a fault with these as I noticed one on EBay today, one that hadn't been used for ages looking at it, that seller describes similar problem.

TIA

Phil

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2014 10:36 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, just an update.

The problem after my investgations seems to be the frame rate selector. If I adjust the FPS, the projector will not project forward, it may fluke revrese projection. And as I have said, the only way to get it going again is to use the Inching Knob, a few turns of it makes motor kick in., I have checked belt and the drive rod especialy where the FPS selector is. The only thing I can notice strange is there appears very little reisistance. There is a White bit of plastic with a screw at the top that moves in and out as you change frame rate speed. Behind it is the fan Is there anything behind this area that I should check, like a spring or something? The other thing I noticed when it is running okay, the Projection selector knob makes a clicking sound as it selects each position, I feel this is right should, but stops doing that when above issue happens. Any other suggstions welcomed. Thanks Phil

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI all,

I thought I would post the following in the case any other Eumig 900 series come across same problem. Problem had nothing to do with inching knob, drive belt ( in fact the 900 series belt has teeth I guess one would call them) and they do not wear out, Units are Friction driven rather than belt driven. I think is best term.

Problem with my 905 is someone had been adjusting the two flat head screws which are on the selector rod, I can only assume to get projector to run slower for maybe capture to Digital or something. If these 2 screws are not in right place and as you will see from attached picture I found of similar online, Eumig I assume actually put some Hot Glue or plastic to maybe hold screws there or to show where they should be. The screws attached to these metal bars and one will push the drive rod forward and the other end backwards.

Note Yellow arrows on image.

-

Thanks all to suggestions.

Cheers
Phil

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2014 03:17 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note: in order to have the series 900 run slower, all you have to do is to pull the speed selector knob out and uncover a small, teflon exagonal screw which presets the running speed. by turnong this screw, you will alter the range of the motor pulley speed displacement and, whilst retaining the 24 to 18 speed difference (6 frames per second), you will land in different speed ranges, (for example 15-21 or more). In other words there's no need to tinker with the rods mentioned in the previous post.

--------------------
Maurizio

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2014 03:59 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurizio for that info, yeah like the Sankyo 600 I have it has something similar too. EDIT

No Sankyo does not have that sorry I read post too quick, 14yo son of mine neded my assistance.)

Maurizo thinking slower about your post now maybe wil help me get this 900 100% right, as even though the screws as I said I believe are now in right spots, when I played back a movie with sound my late father did voice overs on, at 18fps, well as per knob setting saying 18fps light, he still sounded a tiny bit like a chipmunk, I check out now what you said. In case someone played with it to.

Another edit, I see what you mean yellowish white plastic teflon exagonal screw underneath knob cover, can be turned either way,

We learn something new each day. Huh.

Thanks again.

Phil

Edit.

I didn't need it slower, person I got it off Ebay must of done it, I am going to sell this back now I have it working again right. IN fact better.

Cheers
Phil

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Maurizio,

How’s things.
The S905 after some adjustments, has one minor annoyance, its belt is slipping along its drive rod on the cog, only a little but enough to make any speed adjustments I make using the hexagon plastic adjuster underneath the FPS speed knob. I can see it slip each way depending on which way I am running unit. Hence when a voice over comes on, it is a little too fast, and even if I adjust that Hexagon thing, I suspect due to belt slipping, it doesn’t take the change,
You may know Eumig 900 series well 905 910 etc have a belt that has teeth on them, tension seems to be okay. I have tried to wipe of any lubricant or oils off cog etc and inside belt, in case that is problem, no success yet.

Is there any product that can be used? Or suggestions you may have, Just wondering. Ta Phil

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Phil. Indeed I'm a little confused? Is the 905 running too fast (that's what I got when you mentioned the voiceover sounds a little like "Chipmunks"); but if there's something slipping in the machine then it's inconsistent with the previous statement: slippage should cause a decrease in speed.

Also I'd like you to supply a close-up picture of the area around the exit chute of the film, comprising the sprocket drum and part of the belt: I seem to notice something which shouldn't be in there right below the chute but I cannot be sure.

Later...

--------------------
Maurizio

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurizio,

Yes sorry I have confused you by positing that image that was only to show how it should look inside.

The S905 I have I will post some images in this post, I have worked out what is problem, after slowly adjusting that speed adjuster Hexagonal screw and putting it back to how it should be, film now plays back at both 18fps and 24fps, will play back my father's voice overs & Music at right speed he recorded them at 18fps. Even with cover on front, the lights to indicate 18 or 24 are light up right and I can now also feel the tension I reckon it should have when adjustable FPS knob. The Screws for Rods in my view are in right place now.
One problem is still happening and that is putting projector into reverse, As you may know there is a Disc that sits in between the rod or that part the right rod pushes on to make drive road run reverse, It has a Magnetic C Clip attached to it.
Whoever owned this before has broken that or it has come out with wear and tear. I am hoping well my brother is that if he uses the right glue he can attach it back, but if you have a better suggestion please let me know. The two images I have uploaded to post hopefully will show you what I mean,
Thanks again Phil

-

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC