8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5 super 5fps only

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-5 super 5fps only
Martin Steen
Junior

- posted May 27, 2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Martin Steen   Email Martin Steen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, just picked up Bolex 18-5 super for free and the only ting that appears to be at issue is that it will only play at 5fps. All belts look fine as does the chain.
At 5ps she runs smooth. At 18 there is a clicking noise, not loud just there, same in reverse.
Anyone had similar problems or know were to check first.
This one came with the SOM Berthiot 17-28mm f/1.3 zoom lens so I'd like to be able to use it.
On a side note, why are all the name plates always missing !!!
thanks in advance
Martin

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The names plates were just glued on...and dried out decades later...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 27, 2014 08:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My label also fell off, but fortunately it was not lost. I bonded it back on with epoxy, so it's there to stay.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Steen
Junior

- posted May 28, 2014 10:45 AM      Profile for Martin Steen   Email Martin Steen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul and Thomas, now if only someone could give me some insight as to what is ailing the projector I'd be well on my way.

Thanks again

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on my experience two things come to mind. It could be a problem with the switch that is keeping it at 5 fps. I've had very little success repairing those switches. The clicking noise could be a bent shutter blade rubbing on something. Open the bulb cover and rotate it slowly to see if you can detect it rubbing on something.

Martin Steen
Junior

- posted June 01, 2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Martin Steen   Email Martin Steen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bryan for the reply.

I've tried to upload pictures to help with the diagnosis with no success. I'll therefore try to explain.

When the switch selector is engaged at 5 fps, both the pulleys and belts engage and the shutter mechanism spins. I'm able to view a slow motion movie at this speed with no issue.

When the selector is moved to the 18 fps (or any other point on the dial), the pulleys and belts both stop, as does the shutter. The clicking sound I referred to previously is coming from the mechanism to the right of the pulleys.
You can look at this thread as it has an image of the area that I am referring to.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006494

Any assistance would be appreciated

Incidentally is there an easy way to upload an image as I keep getting a login failed message. Is there a separate login and password for uploads?

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin,

Four years ago I had the same question about uploading photos and I received an email with instructions from the always extremely helpful Doug (our forum moderator) - here is a copy of that email which I hope you find helpful.

The instructions are the same today as they were 4 years ago [Wink] [Wink]

"When you click on the "Post Reply" button, you're taken to the page where you type your reply in the message box. Underneath that box, on the left side is a link that reads "Click here to upload an image." If you click on that, you're taken to the Image Upload page. Scroll down and you'll see a place to enter your username and password. After doing that, click on the "Browse" button, which lets you choose the photo you want to upload.

Remember, the photo can't be any larger than 550 pixels wide and muss be less than 200K file size. After you've chosen the photo, click the "Submit" button. If everything works properly, you'll see the "Success! Your Photo has been uploaded!" page. Copy the link for your photo and paste it into your response.

The photo should show up in your post!"

Good luck,

Jon

[ June 01, 2014, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Jon Addams ]

Martin Steen
Junior

- posted June 01, 2014 07:54 PM      Profile for Martin Steen   Email Martin Steen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Jon, here are the pictures.

When the switch selector is engaged at 5 fps, both the pulleys and belts engage and the shutter mechanism spins. I'm able to view a slow motion movie at this speed with no issue.

-

When the selector is moved to the 18 fps (or any other point on the dial), the pulleys and belts both stop, as does the shutter. The clicking sound I referred to previously is coming from the mechanism to the right of the pulleys.

-

Any help would be appreciated

Martin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC