8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Estate Sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Estate Sale
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2014 09:23 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to an estate sale today for laffs. They had a whole box full of 8mm films of home movies. Black and white on 400ft rolls 200ft and 50 ft rolls. They're from the 30's/ They wanted 5 bucks a roll so I took a pass on it. who needs it? I would have bought the whole lot for 10 bucks but that was my limit. Does anyone know if because they are so old if these films are worth anything?

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 31, 2014 12:19 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did the right thing. The reels are worth a few bucks but that's it. Your price was right on.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about these home movies are that you can never be certain about their value. Could be worthless, could be a gold mine.

A woman in NY had a 50' roll of Super 8 shot at an Elton John concert in 1974 that she thought to be worthless. Little did she know that, because she filmed his guest appearance, it was the last film ever of John Lennon performing. After that, Elton John himself turned up and gave her a nice lump of cash for it.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2014 06:51 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None are really worthless though, in some ways all the films have value even if just for the social history of us humans and the things we get/got up to.

In my town we have quite a few old photo's taken at the beginning of the 20th century.

All films and photo's are worth saving.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your responses.
and then there is stuff like this.
 -

-

Someone bought a locker full of over 100,000 35mm negatives and 8mm movies shot by Vivian Maier, an unknown nanny. Turns out this is some of the most beautiful photography of 50's/60's urban America. The Youtube link is raw footage shot in 8mm that will interest members of this forum. Kodachrome. The lower link is the official website for Vivian Maier that also includes some 8mm film. .The still photography rivals that of the best in the world I think. There have been recent exhibitions and a documentary film about this mysterious woman photographer. Unknown during her lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXASDjCwxsE&feature=youtu.be

http://www.vivianmaier.com/

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2014 08:13 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link Richard. The 8mm footage was truly amazing. Even in this day of Instagram it is still obvious what true photographic artistry looks like.

Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC