8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » hello from lost newbie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hello from lost newbie
Peter Sandford
Junior

- posted June 24, 2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Peter Sandford   Email Peter Sandford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

As the title says I'm a newbie and have no experience with cine projectors except from when I was a young child (35 years ago) I can remember my mother setting up the projector and setting up the screen and putting on woody wood pecker for my sister and myself.

So I've always fancied buying one and a few days ago I decided to bite the bullet and finally get one. So I bought a
SUPERB Cinerex SU200 Super 8mm and I've been searching for films and this is where I'm finding myself getting a bit lost with all the different types as in features, mini features, digest and abridgement and lot's of videos being 17minutes long.

So taking a stab in the dark i'm guessing:

feature = the full film.
Mini feature = is a shorten version.
digest = section's of film.
abridgement = is a shorten version.

Or I'm I completely wrong? if not could anyone tell me what the difference is between them?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all Peter, Welcome!

You will find out anything you need to know on here if it is film/ cine related. There are lots of really knowledgeable helpful people on here who will be more than willing to answer any questions that you put to them.

First of all, let me start by saying for the most part, calling films or cine related items video is like blaspheming in church on here! ha ha.
Video came much later in the evolution chain.
Film is film, a real material made usually from Acetate or Polyester has printed transparencies through it if it is a commercially produced film and comes in several sizes called guages and if it is a sound film it will also have a sound track running down one or both edges of the film in either magnetic or optical form. The sound strip along the edge(s) if magnetic, is referred to as the stripe.

Now then in answer to your questions:

1/ Full Feature is just that, ie full length feature film as shown in the cinema.

2/ Cut downs or Abridgements are shortened versions (due to the cost to produce films) of a full feature and contain all of the story with bits chopped out here and there to enable a shortened version to be made. (Typically 3x 400ft in Super 8mm)

3/ Digests are typically 1 spool of around 400ft long and skip through the movie usually showing the highlights of the movie.
It may well try to retain the overall outline of the film however given that 400ft of film at 24 frames per second only typically lasts around 17 minutes, then obviously a large chunk of the story and the movie as a whole are missing.

4/ A mini feature, as I understand it,is similar to the abridged features, but usually refer to Derann type shortened feature films which tend to be on 2x600ft reels giving again, a condensed version of the full feature usually with nearly all of the storyline retained if done well. Alternatively I have even seen full length shorter films referred to as this such as the Derann 1x600ft range which contains the full film, for example:-

1/ The Snowman
2/ The Prince & The Pauper
3/ The Small One
4/ Once upon A Mouse
5/ Mickey's Christmas Carol
6/ a Grand Day Out etc etc

Hope this clears things up a little and hope you enjoy this friendly (for the most part l.o.l) forum Peter.

[ June 24, 2014, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Peter Sandford
Junior

- posted June 24, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Peter Sandford   Email Peter Sandford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the welcome and for taking the time to explain Andrew it was most helpful. Also thank you for the heads up on the V word, it shall never pass these finger's again on this forum. [Smile]

I forgot to add to my first post Hello [Smile]

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, peter i have also recently got back into film collecting and sp glad tp have done so ,only wish i hadnt sold my films i had before as now realise they can be expensive ,but to return to something like this si good i guess it never leaves us .

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 11:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this forum, Peter and let us know if your projections go well.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Peter! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what you call for a section of film (without any edit) like that is found on Gladiator (400')?

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An extract ?

--------------------
Dominique

Peter Sandford
Junior

- posted June 24, 2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Peter Sandford   Email Peter Sandford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Nigel Higgins.

Thank you Dominique De Bast, I've ordered my first two short films. so ill keep you updated [Smile]

Thank you Osi Osgood. (side note: i liked your CX I'M A LOSER clip)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well clarified Dominique!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC