8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann release list

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann release list
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 24, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a complete list of Derann's feature releases?

This topic regarding dts on Super8 prints got me to thinking if I could pull something together as a demo, even if it was only one title.

Dts was introduced with Jurassic Park, so I'm basically interested in knowing what feature films Derann released that were shot in 1993 or later. (As an example if Derann released Die Hard in 1995, that does me no good since Die Hard was shot in 1988.) I would be curious to know what releases there were that I might be able to make a dts match to.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 24, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the post 1993 features I've been able to cull out of the 2005 era Derann new film listing I still have.

The Lion King
Toy Story
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Master and Commander
Pocahontas
A Bugs Life

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 24, 2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Of those the only ones in dts were Master and Commander and Bug's Life. Anything else? Wasn't Speed released in Super8?

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes derann released a full feature of speed

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 24, 2014 12:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that's one I could pull off. (Of course I don't have a Super 8 print of it, so I guess not.)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 24, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot copy and paste the link at the moment as I am using my mobile phone but there is still a catalogue on the Net. Just look for Derann list and you should find it.

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2014 02:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has gone now.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 24, 2014 03:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-actually still there!

Derann

Here's some more:

Star Trek: Generations
Independence Day
Speed

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2014 03:12 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes your correct you need to put all the address not just the domain name. My mistake.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who released "Chicken Run" in Super 8? I remember seeing a used copy on a Derann list years ago, low price due to a faulty sound stripe. Now that I know how to do external sync, I wish I'd bought it, but back then didn't have that ability.

Our DVD of "Chicken Run" has a DTS track.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 24, 2014 08:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our DVD of "Chicken Run" has a DTS track.
Nope, sorry. dts on a DVD or a bluray is absolutely nothing at all like real cinema dts, which is what I am talking about here.

That being said, yes the 35mm prints of Chicken Run did carry a cinema dts timecode, but I don't have access to a print.

Of the Derann list linked, this is what COULD be done if a Super8 print surfaced:
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Runaway Brain (Mickey Mouse cartoon)
Speed
Star Wars Pod Race

These were other titles released in dts theatrically, but I don't have access to a 35mm print to dupe the timecode:
Grease (this had a re-issue in the late 90s)
Star Trek Generations
Wizard of Oz (another one with a re-issue in the late 90s)

Basically the timecode from the 35mm print has to be duplicated while making a video transfer. Then the Super8 print has to be transferred to video, the timecode signal conformed to the Super8 print, then the timecode transferred into the balance stripe of the Super8 print using that video output for sync.

THEN the Super8 print could be played by sending the audio track carrying the timecode information from the balance stripe into a cinema dts player such as the XD20 player which would then output the 6 channel original cinema mix.

It's not simple, but it would be phenomenally awesome as a demo. I've got mint condition prints of Aliens and Toy Story I would be willing to trade for Speed or Die Hard 3 so I could do this. (Of course I would document it on youtube.)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 24, 2014 08:39 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad!

Thanks for making a special appearance on the forum! Nice to see you post here once in a while.

Best

PatD

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 24, 2014 10:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I remember that Chicken Run print!

I was about a half second away from making a grab for it before I thought better of dealing with an entire feature with a peeling stripe.

Always remember those days: Friday about noon the Derann used list showed up on my PC at work.

(I didn't go out to lunch a lot on Fridays back then.)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC