8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Audio with Fujica

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Audio with Fujica
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 02:34 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to record synchronized sound, with a separate audio recorder, with my Fujica ZC 1000. It was offered the chance with an accessory product from the same Fuji, "Tape control cord",
 -
which allowed the synchronized sound. Unfortunately this accessory is very difficult to find, so I ask: can be able to do the same without that accessory?
Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Afaik the tape control cord is only for attaching the Fuji-tape-recorder. I haven't heard of any other recorder that can be attached this way with the original cable. But I'm not an expert for this kind of cables. (Afaik Tak Kohyama from Retro8 was having a lot of these cables in stock.)
You can also attach a "synchro sunchronizer" to the camera. This extra device isn't that rare as it can also be used for the Z800. With the "synchro synchronizer" the camera gets a standard "flash connector" that can be used with many tape-recorders.

Jörg

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 03:35 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, rather than about availability, I'd be concerned about the fact the instruction manual does not deal at all with the issue of syncing; in fact this lead seem to be conceived just as a device to have the recorder start recording exactly when the release shutter key is depressed; of course the recorder will stop when the camera trigger is left idle... But this is no guarantee of perfect lip-sync...

--------------------
Maurizio

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, if you go to page 39,
http://www.duallcamera.com/store/shots/Super%208/fujica_zc1000.pdf it says "simultaneous recording of lip-synchronized sound and picture", but I'm not sure about it either function, because in other pages, in the explanation of the connector, speaks only of simultaneously play on tape and camera.
Here:
http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_fuji/fujica_zc_1000.htm
instead speaks of "sound recording system on synchronized tape recorder", but it's not clear, however.

Joerg: thank you! the synchro synchronizer is shown in the manual? It's an original Fuji item? It used to synchronize the flash and camera, and can also be used with an external tape?
Good advice to ask Tak, maybe tested the cable and he knows that the real functions of it.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am more and more convinced this camera can start/stop a tape recorder simultaneously with the shutter, period. Yet this will not create a lip-sync recording; as usual, you have to feed the second channel of a stereo recorder with a series of pulses that could be created by an intermediate device to be linked to the camea's flash contact on one side and to the recorder input on the other side.

This will generate an "electronic sprocket" as it were, able to control a (slaved) projector during screening of footage thus shot.

Given the generical info provided by the manual, I think any pulse generator shoud work (but of course one should know what projector you are going to use, I guess).

--------------------
Maurizio

Robert Saraceno
Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Robert Saraceno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio is correct - I have a complete Fujica Puls-Sync System (pulse generator, cassette recorder, and projector synchronizer). The tape controller cord you referenced is for using a non-Fujica tape recorder with the ZC1000 or Z800 - but what isn't clear is how you would sync audio in post. By the way, while we're on the subject, if anyone is familiar with the pulse sync controller, if that could be adapted to work with a modern sound recorder? It's got an 8 pin din connector - I've seen 8 pin din to USB cables out there, where you could power the device as well as record audio, but I don't know what kind of voltage the pulse controller uses for power.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 07:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a link to the manual for the "strobo synchroniser".

It only generates an "electrical flash signal" per frame. So you'll still need a device that turns this electrical signal into a recordable "beeps". (A few tape- and reel-to-reel-recorders already included such a device.)

Not sure what Luigi's "tape connector"-cable can do. According to the ZC1000's manual I would says it's only used to start and stop the recording, but not to ensure lip-sync. (The pins of the "DIN 8P Plug" and their functions are explained in the ZC1000's manual - at least in the English ones on the net.)

But there was a special recorder from Fuji ("Fujica Puls-Sync Corder") that recorded a "beep per frame" when being connected to e.g. a Z800 or ZC1000 and that hence allowed lip-sync recording/playback:
Japanese information
There's also some information about this system in the manual of the Z800. (At least in the German/French/Spanish manual found on the net.)

-

According to the text you wouldn't need the "strobo synchroniser", but the "Pulse Generator". So it looks like there was a device that already produced the "beep per frame"-signals. But so far I haven't seen it on eBay without the special recorder. So it was probably part of a "recorder kit" (even though it's listed as a separate accessory in the manual).

Edit: I just found an English manual for the Z800. The sync-sound is explained on page 37 (printed page-number - it's page 38 in the PDF).

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2014 09:01 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that I've got the manual for "Tape control cord":
English
Japanese
Sorry for the bad quality, but I was in a hurry and the manual is only a single wrinkled sheet of paper.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2015 05:44 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg, thanks you for the manual of tape control cord.
Recently I get it, I tested it with two films, but still no development. Anyway I confirm that the tape control cord starts and stops camera and recorder at the same time.
Definitely lip sync will not be maintained, but I can confirm it only after the development of the two films.

The strobo synchronizer it's only a sync for a flash, Ok, is another field.

Fujica accessories for sync were many, as you can see from the page of Super8data: http://www.super8data.com/ ---> section "tape recorders" ---> "Fujica".
http://www.super8data.com/database/sound_list/sound_image/fujica_sync-sound_equipment .jpg
In particular there is Fujica Puls-Sync Box, I don't know what is it exactly.
Anyway I think that with the tape recorder Fujica and this connected to the projector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZXzXN0d4tw
you can have a good yield of lip sync.

Things are different, much more difficult, if you want to have the audio in sync, recorded on magnetic track ...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC