8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS-1200 motor belt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS-1200 motor belt
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this belt elastic at all or stiff as hell? I have troubles getting it fitted and was told to unsrew the motor to attach it. If I screw them on again, it runs slow. I have now a motor that's not exactly screwed in place, but it's working. Anyone can tell me if I got the wrong belt? If so, where to find the proper one?

The one that was on the machine was elastic and looked just like the ST-1200 belt, so I tried that. It lasted a couple of months

All help appreciated

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very stiff - I'm glad I haven't needed to change one.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently changed the belt in my machine, and was afraid it would be a difficult operation, but it wasn't. Removing the old belt and placing the new took only one minute, whitout unscrewing anything. And it was a original, very stiff, Elmo belt, that was supplied as an extra when I bought the machine some years back.

Here is one place where you can buy belts:
http://shop.van-eck.net/BT-0492-M.html
Unfortunately you have bad timing as they just today started their summer vacation.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had understood that belt - what's the purpose of having teeth on the outside of the belt?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have three belt sets from Van Eck, so that's the same belt I have. There was no way in any hell at all I could get that on without loosening anything. Van Eck told me I had to also, just don't get why I can't screw it back on, if I do, it runs very slow.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the proper GS1200 belt, then you need to slacken the motor attachment screws to fit it. Also be sure you adjust the belt so you have "5mm of slack" ....that's very important, its just like adjusting your fan belt on a car.

You will certainly have problems if its adjusted way to tight.

Graham.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 02:44 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way of getting 5mm slack on these belts ... So, I assume I've done it wrong.

It's on, but the screws need to be very loose and now it at least runs at 24fps

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 03:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only think that you must have the wrong belt, as there is usually plenty of adjustment to get that 5mm side ways slack. I would recommend, not to run the motor as it is.

1...with loose screws
2...with a belt being that tight its not good for the motor and projector main shaft bearings.

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Paul
theeth on outside are cutouts to enable v-belt to keep good contact with small hubs. Belt can better follow small radius as it is not so stiff.

@ Vidar

V-belt is 3mm wide and outer circumference is approx. 281mm.
Mark belt on outside and roll it on table and measure length.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC