8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Close Encounters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Close Encounters
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2014 11:00 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Columbia ever release a longer version of Close Encounters, other than the usual 400' digest?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 14, 2014 04:28 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not even by UFA in Germany (a company that sometime released 2 x 400' for Ken Film/Columbia releases against a 400' version available for the rest of the world, eg. The Deep, The Amityville Horror)

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2014 05:05 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is the extremely rare Derann F/L Scope Stereo print of the "Special Edition" version, but I believe only about 20 were ever made, so big BUCKS if ever one comes up (I know of one being sold in the U.K. a couple of years ago for £550).

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2014 05:10 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It gives a full lengh Version from Italy..but is not in Scope.

From germany gives only a 400 feet Version

And the 2 x 400 feet Version from Amityville Horror, Force 10, The Deep-(Scope),Sindbad and the Eye of the Tiger and the Phantasm is not from UFA..is from Piccolo Film in yellow/red Cases

Ciao Andi

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also another "Close Encounters" version in in super 8 scope, the 1977 version. I have a print of that, and I honestly do not know how many others were printed of this version, as it is the only one that I know exists, but since super 8 is printed "back to back" there may be at least another copy out there somewhere ...

This is in addition to the Derann 20 print run of "Close Encounters", but note that the Derann version is the 1980 "Special Edition", in which they go up into the mother ship. The version I have is the original 1977 version.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 01:13 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does it look like? Who released it? Can you post any pictures?

--------------------
Maurizio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 12:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio ...

I so wish I could. I might try something that Vidar suggested, (which I have the dickens of a time getting around to ... filming with my flip camera the film being projected and them saving individual frames).

I'm not sure of the film stock, but it hasn't lost any color over these years. There are some scenes where the picture is just slightly bright, (like the intro in the desert), but the rest of the picture is quite good and very sharp, not quite Derann sharp, but sharper than most.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 17, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly after Derann's Columbia deal suddenly ended, I'm sure the references then to the number printed stated only 10. I'm not saying that makes it a reliable figure but I expect a negative had to be quickly returned, so it's a bit more reliable than the Wallace and Gromit estimates!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC