8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 10 Film Collectors Weekend is next month!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CineSea 10 Film Collectors Weekend is next month!
Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 13, 2014 11:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next CineSea Film Collectors Weekend is fast approaching!

Taking place on Saturday, October 18th and Sunday, October 19th, this will be the tenth show we've held in Wildwood, New Jersey. As always, there will be be tables full of film & equipment in gauges from 8mm to 35mm. At the last show each dealer had at least one projector constantly running (I believe Gary Crawford had 3 at the same time) and every reel in the room knows that they have to be ready at a moments notice since they might be picked for a screening.

CineSea is an intimate gathering of people who love film. We talk about films all weekend. We watch films all weekend. We buy/sell/trade films all weekend. I always look forward to this celluloid symposium!

If you've never attended a CineSea show, please take a look at these threads about CineSea 9, CineSea 9 (2). There's also the CineSea 6 Video, and Claus' CineSea 5 trailer.

Our Saturday after dinner screening went till 1 AM last time. The group dinner was one of the most enjoyable ever. The show gets better every time, and I have to thank John Black and Shorty Caruso, who started CineSea with the idea that the film collector deserves an affordable show to promote camaraderie and to keep this hobby going!

Saturday, October 18th & Sunday, October 19th, 2014

The Ocean Holiday Resort
6501 Ocean Avenue
Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260
609-729-2900 (mention "Film Show" to receive special rate of $65.00 per room)
Reserve early to get Oceanfront rooms with private balconies!

Admission: $5.00, free to those who are staying at the Ocean Holiday.
Hours: 10 AM – 5:30 PM, dinner break, continuous screenings late into the night, Sunday 9 - 2.

Dealers:
6 foot dealer tables are available for $20. You can rent as many as you like. The cost of a table is so low that if you've got any films you'd like to part with, get a table and bring them to the show.

Lou Franchetti will be there with stacks of 8mm and 16mm. To reserve a table you can email/PM me or Lou.

Directions:
From North; Garden State Parkway to Exit 4, follow Rio Grande Ave to end. Right on Ocean Ave. Follow to Ocean Holiday on left 6501 Ocean Ave. From West and South;Rt 76 (east) or Rt 95 (north) to Walt Whitman Bridge. Follow Rt. 42 to Atlantic City Expressway. Take Exit 7 (Garden St Parkway South) Follow same as north.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2014 02:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's great about CineSea is it's simply about the collectors that show up. There is no cast-in-stone schedule of events, there is certainly leadership (it's actually pretty democratic) without there being event management. The gathering place actually is behind garage doors with a concrete floor.

This would be nothing without the people, the personalities and their stories.

What you find is that little spark of enthusiasm you feel when you watch a reel at home starts to multiply when there are also other people who feel the same way. You go from screen to screen to screen and enjoy films you've never seen before. You hear stories of film and you wind up telling yours too. The talk is everything that's discussed here and everything that isn't. You learn a lot about this hobby and what has gone on behind the scenes from the beginning, and you get to know the people here and the people that aren't a lot better as well. Discussion wise, an internet forum is like a plastic transistor radio and being with the same people live is like sitting in a concert hall.

It's very relaxing and it's what people used to call "good, clean, fun". You come home relaxed, without a huge credit card balance and pretty pleased with your weekend.

I drive a little under four hours to get there, not a lot, so don't take my word for it being worth the time and the travel. Talk to Guy Taylor: he drives from Texas. Listen to Paul Oscar, who comes from Iceland. It's good enough both of them have been there twice, and I bet we'll see them again too.

John Black and Shorty did something pretty nice for this scattered community of film collectors. Like many things in life all it takes is being there.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 03:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have great guys claus always takes some great pictures and filming the shows

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 06:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't come, you are missing out on a GREAT time.

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to Joe Greisbech, and he said if we want he would take us over to his theater on Rio Grande and show us his booth and all of his equipment. Thats something also to keep in mind if anybody is interested.

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 15, 2014 07:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds really cool!

On my 50th birthday we went to a local family run theater and I was tempted to ask the manager if I could see the booth...but I wussed out!

-who'd have imagined I'd get a second chance to turn 50!

(Can I try for 22 instead?)

The last time at CineSea I brought wife and kid with me. They've asked me to let people know that if you have family members that enjoy this kind of thing, this is a very family friendly event!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could be a female crasher to what sounds like a great party guys. Unfortunately I will not be able to join you...but I will be there in spirit. Looking forward to all the photos...video...and stories.

Have fun!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 09:24 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is definitely worth the trip. So much fun spending the weekend with fellow film collectors and projector enthusiasts.

Wildwood Crest and the other towns along the South Jersey Shore are quite nice.

Although I won't be able to make it this year I will be back in the future.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, you are certainly as important a part of the CINESEA origin as John and I - Suggest we create a logo - Shorty - We'll talk of it

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, due to previously scheduled events, the dates for CineSea definitely crushed my hopes of getting back there this year [Frown]
Hopefully I'll see you all again in 2015. It was a great time! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC