8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Bulb Overload

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Bulb Overload
Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 11:18 AM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume this is an extremely naive question, but I was wondering what would happen if you put a 100 watt bulb in a Super 8 projector designed for a 50 watt one? Could it work, or will the bulb burst?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 24, 2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens depends on a lot of things.

For example there are two main ratings of a lamp, voltage and wattage. If you put a 120V, 100W bulb into a 12V, 50 watt projector, you'd be lucky to get any light out of it at all. basically nothing either bad or good would happen in that case.

Then again If you put a 12V, 100W lamp into a 12V, 50W projector you may be abusing the power supply that lights the lamp, and you may be overloading the capacity of the projector to keep the lamp cool enough for a long life.

As the projector's lamp supply voltage exceeds the lamp's rated voltage, things will go wrong more certainly, and more quickly too.

Without knowing the design limits of the machine, the way to find out is to plug in the new lamp, and let it run.

If five minutes later something fails, then you know.

(The bulb wouldn't burst.)

It's something people have tried here before, and often it doesn't end happily!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right. Using anything higher than the rated lamp wattage in a projector is going to permanently damage the machine. Don't mess with it!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manufacturer's interest (in ordre to sell as much as possible) is (or should we say was) to advertise a projector as powerfull as it could. So it is logical to assume that if they state(d) 50 watts, there is a good raison. So be carefull...

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that by fitting a lamp of higher wattage than is recommended by the manufacturer, you would be overloading the transformer which supplies the power to the lamp with possibly disastrous results. Definitely not recommended.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. The transformer would not last for long.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 24, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly they'd use the same transformer for a 50W bulb as a 100W bulb. There could be situations where if they bought the same transformer for both types of machines, the bigger purchase quantity would lower the unit price to the point where it's cheaper to only have one 100W capable transformer in everything.

-only the manufacturer knows for sure.

Until you blow the thing up you won't know one way or the other.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 07:41 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody tell me watts going on here! [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 24, 2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power Corrupts!

(Absolutely! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2014 02:05 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 25, 2014 02:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with great power comes great responsibility.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2014 03:30 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
There are different lamp holders as well as lamp ratings. The 12 volts (V))100 watts (W) lamps by and large do not fit into projectors with 50W because the 50W lamps are usually "diving helmet" designs rated at 8V not 12V. The projector thus only provides 8V from its transformer.

The 12V 100W lamps were made in many forms including diving helmet and parabolic reflector most of whom will not fit. If you find a 100W lamp that physically fits such as the A1/203 diving helmet replacing the A1/17 (sorry I don't know the US codes) or an A1/231 parabolic mirror halogen replacing the A1/229 all you will get is a dimmer light than the original 50W.

This is because the 12V 100W lamp has a slightly higher resistance (1.44 ohms) than the 8V 50W lamp (1.28 ohms). However there should be no damage to the projector since your 100W lamp is running as a 44W lamp.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC