8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How much film time on a 1200'?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much film time on a 1200'?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 19, 2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bougth some months ago a feature of Heartbeeps. It seemed to be the whole movie and I got it fitted perfectly on a 1200' ... So how much time will a filled 1200' reel give with the different types of film? I assumed it was about an hour of "normal" film, but polyester is thinner, right? Are there any more types than these two?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2014 11:42 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most 1200' ft reels in 16mm hold a 1/2 hour tv show, a 1200ft super 8 reel maybe an hours worth since 2 600ft reels are roughly 30 mins apiece.
hope that helps.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 19, 2014 11:58 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, as that is acetate running time ... I got a feature of 1:20 something and it's not overflowing on the 1200' but it's full. Polyester is thinner, ain't it? Meaning more film time on a reel. Just wonder how much more a polyester will fit on a 1200'

[ October 19, 2014, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the super8database for a Fujiscope that takes 360m reels of super 8 , single 8 comes out at 540m. You should of course get more if its optical sound, due to magnetic sound adding a little extra thickness.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 19, 2014 02:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As a guide Vidar, I have managed to squeeze Die Hard which is 131minutes long onto two Elmo 1200ft spools. That means that around 1hr 6 minutes are on one reel. It is full to the rim but not overflowing by any means and of course, this film is on Polyester stock. Hope this helps Vidar.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 19, 2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Did not even think about the magnetic track. So about 6 minutes extra for a 1200 then.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on film thickness and manufacture of reel.

On a Elmo 1200 I have managed to get 71 minutes + leaders.
On a Grasso 1200 I have got 76 minutes + leaders.
(Grasso reels have slightly smaller hubs)

And none of these where to the brim, but almost.
Both are with magnetic sound.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 08:41 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I assume it's possible to have an optical print of 1:19 on a 1200' ... Nice ... Now I wish everything was polyester and optical :-)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 10:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not for me Vidar, the sound is invariably fairly poor I find on many optical prints and produces a fair amount of "running noise"as it passes the exciter lamp.

I don't really mind what stock a feature is on too much, I just put it on bigger reels than 1200ft if necessary.

The main thing to me is having as few splices and intervals as possible, though for a very long feature a single interval around half way through is most welcomed I find.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on whether it's polyester of acetate film stock.

Polyester can mean more than an hour. Acetate tends to be thicker, (some actetate is very thick!), and you can end up with only around 50 or so minutes. (that is, safely putting it on the reel, without it spilling all over the bloody place!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected the polyester to be thinner, just wanted to know how much will fit on a 1200'. Was surprised to get the whole Heartbeeps onto on reel and it looks complete too.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 03:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I readed a few months ago that black and white camera filmstock is thinner than colour one. I don't know if that's also true for projection filmstock. Anybody knows ?

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that "Heartbeeps" is the complete feature Vidar? Super 8 optical sound features were on a very thin polyester stock, but I'm quite surprised that the whole feature would fit on one 1200ft reel.

However, super 8 optical sound features did tend to be a little edited for running time due to being in flight movies and he need to edit them for content (any "naughtiness" that the whole family shouldn't particularly see), but heartbeeps was rather tame.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It came on 3 600 spools. And I haven't seen it since VHS release. I will time it next time

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC