8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question on CineSea Past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on CineSea Past
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 20, 2014 06:19 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking with others, I had forgotten where was the first gathering, and are there pictures to accompany? Was it at the 2nd show, we met at Ocean Holiday? - A brief history please - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 20, 2014 07:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shorty,

The first was at the Bolero in December 2009. There are a decent number of photos available in posts made here afterwards:

The Gathering of Film Collectors in NJ

It wasn't until the next spring it arrived at the Ocean Holiday.

If I remember correctly, it was first called "CineSea" the third meeting.

The neat thing about this is how much of the history can be seen on this forum by using search, all the way back to John Black first asking if there was any interest in having it.

[ October 20, 2014, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 05:30 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve for clearing up a faulty mind, I knew there were some pictures, just have to copy some - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2014 07:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to think back on that weekend, as nice as it was, CineSea has grown a lot from that beginning.

For example we had no Saturday Night film show, and we did go out to dinner, but it was not planned. A couple of us were standing around and somebody said "-you hungry?" and somebody else said "Yeah..."

-but you have to start somewhere!

A bunch did go to the Sea Theater that night with John Black. It's possible in the future we should offer some kind of field trip during the weekend. I thought about going to the Delsea Drive-In until I figured out it was easily a hour away.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us have our own individual traditions. Mine, after checking in to the hotel, is to drive to Mulligan's Sports Pub for some beers and fried clams on my day of arrival. Also enjoy the get together of the Cinesea delegates at the little breakfast restaurant at the hotel next door to the Ocean Holiday.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2014 01:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if doing something once should count as a tradition, but once I took the crack of dawn option: I left the house about 4:30 AM on Saturday and took my sunrise crossing the Arthur Kill into New Jersey.

It was a beautiful spring day: sunny and cool. I had a warm jacket on so I rolled down the windows and opened the sun roof. The road was empty so I set the cruise control and just had a wonderful, pleasant drive all the way down to Wildwood and breakfast with the guys.

I'm almost nostalgic about this: with my wife and son coming along it may never happen again!

• "Let us SLEEP! What is this: a fishing trip?"
  • "Close the roof, it's freezing out!"
  • "Pull in here! We need the bathroom!"
  • "Let's stop! My shopping sense is tingling!"
-but it is fun having them along! My son learned to splice 16mm the other day: how many kids in the 7th grade can say they even know what that is!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the way to get them started in film

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2014 04:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They love the weekend, they just don't go along with my kamikaze approach to travel!

Rest stops! BAH!!!

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do enjoy going to breakfast at a restaurant in the downtown area of Wildwood called Uncle Bill's Pancakes. Nice friendly waitress working there named Sandy. Easy to remember the name because tropical storm "Sandy" struck the Jersey shore about a week after leaving Wildwood for my first Cinesea convention.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Bill's has become one of our regular breakfast places.

As a matter of fact we planned on going there Sunday morning, but it was already closed for the season.

This was a very late weekend: a lot of places including the Ocean Holiday are now closed until Spring.

I like the places along the shore near the Ocean Holiday the best: the food isn't any better, but the walk there and back just adds something to breakfast, especially on a nice sunny morning.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 21, 2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad you guys had such a great time at CineSea...sounds like the weather was perfect too. It's a wonderful tradition you've started.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 11:39 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Uncle Bill's stays open to accommodate the "Do Wop" convention that draws a lot of people to Wildwood. The previous two Octobers when I was there the "Do Wop" people were there the same weekend.

I'm a real early bird. I'm usually over there eating breakfast before anyone else is out of their rooms.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doo Wop weekend was when we were there.

Unfortunately Uncle Bill Doo-Wasn't!

We retreated south on Pacific Avenue a couple of blocks to the Marvis Diner. (A good time was had by all!)

Saturday night dinner was at the Boathouse this time. They were also closing for the winter that night and ran out of baked potatoes roughly midway through the CineSea dinner party!

Once, a few weeks after Hurricane Sandy I was down in Cape May and I stopped by Wildwood on our way home to see for myself if the Ocean Holiday had survived the storm. (Obviously it did...)

-this far off-season Wildwood may as well have had tumbleweeds rolling down the streets. It is very much a summer town and summer only.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in the restaurant business myself, I can see why they are making that decision. You can't afford to lose money the rest of the days just to try to cash in on a few weekends. It is my understanding that Halloween is the last big anything at Wildwood. Then almost everything closes.

There has to be a few things that stay open in the winter for the townies.

Great little town though; really dig that late fifties/early sixties architecture of the hotels. So look forward to attending in about eighteen months.

Next year for me will be the Syracuse Cinefest and the Columbus Cinevent. Spring of 2016 the Wildwood Cinesea. How many words can you make up starting with "Cine"?

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 07:26 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how about the imaginary film collector who bought so many films, went broke, ended up in the poorhouse so he committed cinecide.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching old home movies of me and my parents on vacation when I was just a kid make me feel all cinetimental.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC