8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Taxi Driver, Columbia digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taxi Driver, Columbia digest
Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2014 03:04 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I had my most dissapointing Super 8 experience so far. I mounted my Taxi Driver digest and started the projector. It opened up great with the fog and the yellow taxi passing by. But after a little while the characters started talking and the sound was completly out of synch. It sounded like they hadn't even tried to get it right. And then there were some horrible speaker voice explaining the story. What the ****? With the opening and great action in the end this could have been like the best digest, but how could they release such a bad version. Are they all like this?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 12:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jan,
I also have this cut down which on the whole is fine, sound is good and all in sync, (I would have returned it if it wasn't),
Unfortunately the narration is a part of this cut down which for Columbia seemed to be standard and very annoying. One of the worst in my view was the guns of Navarone, the narration was so ridiculous they may as well have released it silent with sub titles instead.
In Taxi Driver its actually a lot less than the normal. But overall this 400 footer is actually OK, very grainy but good. [Wink]

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 03:02 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
So there is in fact something wrong with my copy? Is this a recurring problem with sound film?
/jan.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 06:26 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2x400' Dracula '79 has sync problems on reel 2, but fine on the first. Great colors ... I bought another one from Greece, awful colors, totally red, but sound was fine. So I think this happens from time to time. Also my Tom & Jerry snd the Goldfish is about 3 seconds off I think. I will re-record that, as the sound is avaiable on youtube and I can't miss with more than 3 seconds :-)

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2014 12:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its quite amazing how you can pick-up an out of sync film. I too have sent them back for rerecording.

Both Columbia & Fox (Ken Films) were obsessed with narration, stating the on screen action many times.

My Raise The Titanic (Scope feature) although not out of sync I can pick-up post dubbing sync problem.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC