8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sprocket Damage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sprocket Damage
Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Duncan has chosen to delete his post.

[ February 01, 2015, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 12:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all your films come from the same source ? Usually 8 mm are ok (but of course, that's the first thing to check), so the problem may come from the projector (an improper loop). What is strange is that your films are not damaged from the beginning.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 26, 2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running films through a projector without examining them first is like playing Russian Roulette... especially films that you buy off eBay. You should also see about getting some test film. I have films I use to test out projectors I work on. If these break or become damaged I just cut out the bad section and splice it back together. You don't want to ruin good films. I also put long head leaders on all my films. Most damage occurs at the start with auto-feed machines.

Since you seem to be having issues in the middle of the reels...Dominique has a point...could be losing the loop. I've forgotten...what projector are you using? Does it have a loop setter? Some projectors are fussy about splices...my Elmo ST800 loses it's loop on the occasional bad splice.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 01:56 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossible to be certain, but it seems quite likely that the films already have damage. If a film is running normally, it's very rare for sprocket damage to suddenly happen - it's the sort of thing that can happen if (e.g.) certain projectors are run in reverse. If you inspect the two films and find any sprocket damage AFTER you stopped going forward, that would be the proof you need. Also, if you run a film that you know is fine again, and there's no problem, that would also point to other films being damaged - although you may feel that's a risk.

Sometimes a film won't go through a projector smoothly because it needs some lubrication, but if that was happening, it would get noisy and show show signs of being unsteady before anything went seriously wrong.

It would be a shame if you packed it in because of bad luck with some damaged films.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the switch for Super 8/Regular 8 is in the right position? I guess you wouldn't see much, but just to be sure, toggle the switch and make sure it's in the correct position. You also checked the film path for any debris (broken film or tape splices) inside the machine?

Hope you get it sorted out

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 04:14 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have this problem with my Eumig 710D - a chronic film chewer, and yes, it was really discouraging. I had dozens of films sitting on the shelf but didn't dare project them since the projector was so unstable.

Which model do you have?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 04:21 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 710D I had my problems with too, but it was due to the slipping disc problem. After sanding the disc surface a little, it was okay after that.

I think he has a B&H 462 if I remember correctly

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I was thinking the lever/switch for Super 8/Regular, but since you say it's only Super 8, maybe the database is wrong

http://super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bell/bell_462a.htm

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 07:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest that the loop forming section may not be correctly phased with the claw, thus causing occasional damage to the perforations.
However, it is most important to check all newly acquired films before projection.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's rubber, maybe it's slipping too? Is it hard like the Eumig rubber coating gets, then maybe it need a good cleaning or something? Just a thought

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 08:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sprocket damage, you can just run the film outside the gates. In other words wind it on the projector and gently hold you fingers on each side of the film. You'd feel if there is sprocket damage.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 11:43 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, yes -- the joys of film collecting.....I'm finding that after 40-plus years in the hobby, I have less and less patience for the "mechanical" aspect of the hobby in these types of situations. As I get older, I'm finding I'd rather watch the movie than fiddle with the projector, hence the reason I also have digital in my home cinema.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
Don't forget what I said about holding the film up to the light. You will see that it is translucent and you will be able to see any splices/ damage that show up as dark irregularities. Then you can wind the film on until you come to the damaged section, inspect and make repairs. If you want to test the integrity of the projector why not run a reel of new blank leader through it. If it still produces the damage you are experiencing then you have a problem with the machine. Blank leader is relatively cheap and easy to buy.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 04:44 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I purchase a film before projecting I always run it through my hand turned rewind arms and hold film to feel for sprocket damage

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that the films are defective, but unlikely that they are all so. Probably best to test the projector with some blank leader. At least that will answer one question about the projector before you run any precious film. Don't give up on the hobby, it's very rewarding when you get the hang of it. There is a certain amount of skill to it which only comes with practice and like all of us, we have all had our trials,testing times and sometimes disasters. It comes with the territory of old technology.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 02, 2014 08:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of products Timothy I have used for lubricating my projectors. They both do an equally good job. I'm sure there are plenty of other brands that do the same thing...these were just a couple I was able to find locally.

-

[ November 02, 2014, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC