8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell & Howel 256 Spindle Arms putting back together Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howel 256 Spindle Arms putting back together Help
Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 03:16 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy all, trust all are well.

I had to replace the spindles on my Bell & Howell 256, thanks to guy in USA on EBay who sells them from Tobin Cinema I think some on here know him or of him, (Great E-Bayer, he included very detailed instructions on how to put spindles on and how to calibrate them), why they had a plastic screws as original, sheesh, I was wondering why reel that had bulk of film on it, was wobbling. I tried to tighten plastic screws on original ones and of course they broke being so old.
Anyway one issue, my brother by mistake ( he thought he was doing right thing) took spindle arm covers off, now I am trying to work out how the top sprocket cog wheel and the two washers and what I believe is called a Wave Washer go back on.

I can get them back on and spindle and cover without the wave washer, but no good of course as wave washer required.

Anyone had to do this on a B& H 256 or similar?

Hopefully someone has suggestion, Thanks again for support.
Phil

-

-

[Confused] [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 09:09 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had these replaced the nylon screws have a torque setting yours broke because you may have put to much tension on them.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 09:56 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for reply Jim,

Only had projector a little while and reel sizes I have played are only 200feet, no idea of course what previous owner played on it.

Have you ever had to take of reel arms covers?

Cheers
Phil

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2014 11:11 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only the covers to see how they worked but never the spindles I had a repair shop do that.

--------------------
jim schrader

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim,
In case others ever need to know, I worked it out.

On each spindle doesn't matter which order the washers go including the wave one ( the bent looking one) I put the cog wheel after one washer so it aligns with other cog wheels on arms.
Then put spindle into arm and put space and then screw and washer to tighten up other side and then calibate it.
Just make sure spacer is lined up okay before you really tighten scerws.

Cheers
Phil

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil where did you get replacement screws?

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC