8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » From New Fellow, Please Help, Developing Kodak Tri-X

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From New Fellow, Please Help, Developing Kodak Tri-X
Saruulbileg Ganbaatar
Junior

- posted November 20, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Email Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody. I am new to 8mm film making and this forum. Some questions about 8mm film. I got a 8mm camera and a cartridge of film called Kodak Tri-X 7266 Reversal. I s it possible to be developed and processed with T-Max Developer?
Here is link to the developer that i expecting

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-T-MAX-T-Max-Developer-1gal/dp/B00K335CMK/ref=pd_rhf_s chuc_p_img_7

Please help,

--------------------
Saruul

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Saruul, and welcome!

Would it make a difference if it is still possible to develop this film commercially? There are quite a few companies that do. As a matter of fact, I have two rolls of Tri-X waiting to be sent in for developing myself.

It is possible to develop Super-8 yourself and some people here do.

It's just if you are going to do it, then do it because you want the experience of doing the work yourself. It's a lot of work and you'd be hard pressed to get the results a good commercial house gets, so that would be the way to go if getting the film developed is the only goal.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Saruulbileg Ganbaatar
Junior

- posted November 20, 2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Email Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for information and consultation. I was so confused on developer. Now it is clear to do it. I really want to do it by myself. But one more question please. I have no idea about what the "re-exposure" is, can you please tell me about that?

--------------------
Saruul

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us aren't home developers of film: collectors, shooters, editors, sound record-ists, projectionists and fixers of dead projectors, sure.

They say the editing bench is to a filmmaker what the darkroom is to a still photographer.

I shot my first roll of Tri-X about thirty years ago and couldn't find anybody to process it. My still photographer friends came up with this wild scheme to process it in their darkroom, but fortunately Customer Service at Kodak found me a lab before we went through with it. (What did we do before Google?)

One thing I do know is you need an 8mm developing tank.

-something that's probably easier to scare up since the Internet came about.

Have you tried Filmshooting.com?

Filmshooting

I think they are more specialized in what you need to know than we are here.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Saruulbileg Ganbaatar
Junior

- posted November 20, 2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Email Saruulbileg Ganbaatar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Thank you so much. I found that i was searching it from somewhere unsuitable. Okay I will try that site. Thank you for your kind attention.

--------------------
Saruul

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done some reversal processing (mainly colour slides and some cine) but for B&W the process is 1st developer, wash, bleach off the first silver image, expose to bright light to expose the part of the film not exposed in camera, develop again, wash, fix, and finally wash again.
Later (Colour only) film processing replaced the re-expose with a chemical that did it for you.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be difficult to obtain the chemicals these days, as well as a tank capable of taking 50ft of film. There are probably quite a few of the Russian tanks around but they only have about 30ft capacity, but once loaded the rest of the process can be done in daylight. Otherwise you also need a proper darkroom, with a sink plumbed in. Is it worth it? Ken Finch.

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As described, processing reversal film (direct projection) is a lot more complicated than negative processing, but the results are rewarding after some practice.

You even have to mix your own chemicals, so it's better to start with the E-6 process for colour and then evolve to B&W. Lots of info on apug.org. Just do a search of "reversal B&W processing".

As a side note, if you only intend to shoot a few films from time to time, it's better to send them to a professional lab: www.super8.nl is my favourite.

--------------------
Marc

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC