8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning sound stripe residues over film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning sound stripe residues over film
Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 07:46 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

I've got a super-8 film that was submerged on Vitafilm some years ago, and after the process some parts of it had residues of the magnetic soundtrack over the frames, in form of spots and lines.

What can I do to remove them without damaging the film? They look like heavily adhered to it...

--------------------
Marc

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good evening Marc,you have a private mail,check it ,please.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 09:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've occasionally had this problem with Derann striping that went a bit wrong and left some small deposits in the picture area. It's a very laborious task to locate and remove all such deposits (on the base side) but I had some success by wetting a cotton bud with white spirit and carefully rubbing the deposits until they came off. It's obviously important to be precise and not remove the stripe at the same time!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Adrian!

I'll try it. Is it valid for acetate prints like mine? It's an original kodachrome.

--------------------
Marc

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 29, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc - Although I can't offer any guarantees that it's 100% safe, I'd also do it with acetate film. Obviously avoid wetting the whole film, but if the cotton bud is only temporarily dampening the base side in-between the stripes, I don't think it can do any harm. You can always do a test, ideally on some blank leader.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC