8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dual gauge projector with sound?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual gauge projector with sound?
Amandeep Singh
Junior

- posted December 01, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Amandeep Singh   Email Amandeep Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I'm new to this forum but I have recently been interested in 8mm film because I'm trying to get as close to recreating that feeling of going to the cinema without spending the big bucks that 35mm costs [Smile]

I have been looking at getting my first projector and searching on the internet to find a good one on a budget (around £100) and I have heard that you can get dual gauge ones that can take regular 8mm and super 8. What I would like to know is if you can get dual gauge ones that also do sound? I have heard that the Chinon 6100 can do this but I am not sure.

Also is there anywhere in the UK where you can get 8mm full movies and trailers? Also anyone know where you can get 8mm daysets like you see in the cinema?

Sorry for so many questions but I thank you all in advance for any help you could offer me.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try an Eumig S810 D-should fulfill your needs [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Amandeep. You can find sound dual gauges : several makes manufactured various models. You can buy second hand films from this forum, from EBay and from dealers (several are based in the UK, which is good for you). There are also conventions where you can buy films. If you want new copies, you may have a look at what CHC in Britain offers.

--------------------
Dominique

Amandeep Singh
Junior

- posted December 01, 2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Amandeep Singh   Email Amandeep Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor and Dominique, thank you for your sound advice. I will look for the Eumig 810D and I will also look on ebay and this forum for films.

Apart from the Eumig, are there any other good makes and models you can think of?

Also with regards to 8mm movies, can you get complete films or are they just cut down versions to fit the length of the reel? I would assume that a full movie would have to be on multiple reels, correct?

On another note do 35mm projectors really cost in the thousands? Are there no budget projectors or methods of viewing 35mm movies just for transfering onto the computer?

Thanks again [Smile]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2014 07:43 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...the Eumig 810D is good....try to find one of the HQS models, "high Quality Sound". They have less hum. The Lux model has a faster lens for brighter pictures. Also the Eumig 824D is a step up from the 810D..... Both of them are good IF they have been well taken care of. I've received many an 810D from people who have wiped out the claw by not following the directions when changing gates from Standard 8mm to Super 8. Oh..when buying used machines, be sure they do have both sets of sprockets and rear and front gates for each gauge. Over the years and over many owners, many of these machines end up with only one set. Just something to watch for.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 09:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amandeep
None of the quoted projectors come within your budget 0f £100.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amandeep, you can find full version of many films but they come in several reels and are not cheap. if you want to screen them without interruption you will need to respool the film on a large spool which can only be used on very expensive projectors (like Beaulieu or Fumeo) or with a long play attachment unit.

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your idea to get a dual projector to save your money in case you need to project both format, just stick with super 8mm projector. Regular 8mm films do exist but super 8mm film are available more and various. Those complete/full films you want to have are majority on super 8mm format.

I would say that regular 8mm packed film was ceased in around 1975s while super 8mm films are still released to date. So you can think what films you will get on regular 8mm.

There are plenty super 8mm projectors, and within your budget I would suggest Elmo ST-800. If you are lucky sometime you can still get Elmo ST-1200 too which can take 1200 feet reel.

--------------------
Winbert

Amandeep Singh
Junior

- posted December 03, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Amandeep Singh   Email Amandeep Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your very helpful advice, its much appreciated. Based on the responses it seems that perhaps going for a dual format projector isn't right for me and I think I will just stick with Super 8. So far I only have one reel and its Super 8. Its some daysets from ABC cinemas. The only other reel I have is a 35mm Odeon cinema dayset but looking at the cost of 35mm projectors I donlt think I will get a chance to project that anytime soon [Frown]

Thanks again, I will keep a lookout for the projectors you've mentioned.

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted December 07, 2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
be sure when you buy a 800 series eumig that it continues running when it gets warm. the projector doesn't have a drive belt but two rubberized discs. this rubber tends do lose its properties over the years and you will end up with a slow running or not at all running projector.

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC