8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S Super 8 projector problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S Super 8 projector problem
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 10:54 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked this unit up not to long ago and just got around to trying it out. It runs a little slowly in sound mode but my bigger concern is that it will not play in reverse. With no film in the machine, the sprockets and reel spindles spin easily and quickly just like the should. However when threaded,when first put in Reverse, it moves a bit but then just stops. The film on the feed reel and tension on the film between the reel and the first sprocket is extreme. I think the issue is with the first sprocket. I fed some film through that sprocket and with the lamp housing off, I was able to let the film run straight out over the lamp area and toward the rear. Having done this, there was no involvement with the gate, sound head, rear sprocket or take-up reel. I then put it in Reverse, and the same thing happened. There seems to be plenty of torque in that spindle because with it running without film, I put a great deal of pressure on the center of it with my thumb and it did not slow a bit. Similarly, with a reel spinning on the front arm, I put pressure on the reel and it continued to spin very well. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted December 12, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there can be two things happening, the first is that you have to clean the moving parts and then relubricate with ball bearing grease (not wd-40!). but i'm afraid the following is happening: your rubber discs are bad. they almost allways go bad including the pivot blocks for the motor. the rubber seems good but it cannot get enought grip on it. i'm trying to revulcanise new rubber on these discs but we still have no results whatsoever.

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Erik.
I am aware of the disc issue and I did rough them up, and cleaned them with naptha. After that I dressed them with rubber roller rejuvenater. Gears seem to be lubed just fine. I will put pressure on the motor base to increase pressure on pad while trying in reverse and see if that works. If it does then indeed it is the motor pivot bushing. Not a big deal. This is not a projector I use. I just like working with them. This one seems to have a robust little amp and the halogen bulb is only a couple of dollars to replace. I have it on Craigslist Minneapolis for parts or repair for 15.00. The mains power cord is probably worth that alone as it is a proprietary cord.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2014 04:10 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is not disc slippage that is the problem. Even without me pressing the motor sideways to increase friction, it isn't going. You can hear the motor laboring to go, but while pressed against the disc, it is too much. Something is binding up somewhere. Removing the film, it spins freely. Spins fine in forward also.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC