8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Opening a Sealed Print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opening a Sealed Print
Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 09:37 AM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have collected many items over the years and in many cases, it is not desirable to remove something from it's original packaging. However, in the case of films, they can really only be enjoyed by viewing the prints. My question is, would it be more desirable to leave a film that has never been opened or viewed to remain that way? I just acquired a print that has never been opened and part of me hates to remove the shrink wrap but I don't plan on reselling it at any point either. What do you do with sealed prints yourselves?
-Tim

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 06, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy new unwrapped films as an investment, I buy them to show.
If you do sell such a print there is no way a buyer will know what the colour is like, unless it's a black & white copy.

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy,

I would open the film as soon as possible to let it get some fresh air after all those years and to exercise the layers of film by running it. Depending on the stock and storage conditions, "sealed" can be worse than "open and ventilated."

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I would go ahead and open the print.Sometimes shrink wrap left on over time will do more harm than good.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 11:29 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just because it is unopened doesn't mean that it is a perfect print.

I think most collectors would like to know that the quality / sound are ok rather than risk a shrink-wrapped print!

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unchain the poor film and release it from it's wretched confinement. Release the poor beast and let it's illuminated glory soar upon your lit screen (or garage wall). Revel in it's majesty (hopefully no VS) and enjoy guilt free Tim.
......sorry, I got a little carried away.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 06, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
What is the film called?

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 06, 2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe you are waiting to screen it now you have took the decision to open it Timothy!

I have to say, curiosity would have definitely got the better of me under the same circumstances and within 45seconds I would have had the film into the editor ready for a clean & lube and then an immediate viewing! Lol.

I love finding new sealed prints, there is something quite magical about almost turning back the hands of time and unearthing this lost treasure!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 06, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the very first CineSea and this fellow was really excited because he'd found a Disneyland tour film still sealed on the display card.

I asked "You're not going to watch that, are you?"

-poor guy looked like was going to burst a blood vessel!

So I think it's probably better he bought that film than me. At least he was sure what should be done with it and probably is still enjoying it.

(Different strokes...)

I got a sealed print without planning to a few months ago. It's "Bugs Bunny Gets The Boid" and I wasn't giving up the chance of having that one, so I violated it without a second thought!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many collecting spheres, you want to keep things in their original NOS condition.
However, I agree with everyone else that in this particular hobby, it makes no real sense.
Sounds like fun to be able to watch for the first time though!!!
Enjoy.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 03:10 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too like to screen all films I have bought, to see what it is like,what the colour is still like after all these years most importantly....for e.g. I have seen on Ebay recently The Planet of The Apes on Super 8mm and it is stated as unopened and in excellent condition....but as I know 99% of theses prints have gone red.....something to be aware of I guess....

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim, I'm pretty sure all that Ken Paramount and United Artists stuff was all B/W silent. I'm glad to hear you cracked it open. Life is too short, and when I'm dead, none of my family will care if I have a collection of films and records and tapes all rotting in their original packing. I take great pleasure in being the first to open something and hopeful that it will still be useful. Records that have a tight shrink wrap will probably be warped and the same with your film-without air the film tends to warp, so you may need to treat it. Enjoy your films.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2015 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
That brings back memories!
I started my cinema career as a trainee projectionist in 1952 and we ran this Cecil B. deMille film for seven days. It was a Paramount release in Technicolor.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 07, 2015 11:26 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also unseal "new" films to Watch them and,as said before, such prints may (of course) have lost (some) colours. The only exception I made is an unsealed Pathé Baby (9.5) film on a small cartridge. It is a "never been viewed" copy of a common film (I had already a second copy of it when I got the sealed one) so curiosity is feeded.

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 10:17 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I see a Super 8, or in rare instances 16mm,condensed film still sealed, it kind of brings back memories of going into a camera shop or the camera section at department store and seeing those new Super 8 films in their original seal. An amusing story: one time my friend and I were in a camera shop and I was purchasing a few Super 8 films for my collection with my Christmas money. I said to the woman behind the counter (who was the co-owner along with her husband.)," I'd buy more, but that would be greedy." She replied with a smile," No, that would be nice."

--------------------
Joe

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC