8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hometown Home Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hometown Home Movies
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 01:00 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many of you google search home movies of your hometown. You would be surprised at what you might find on youtube and other such places. This morning I came across some 8mm footage of my city from 1940. It really is amazing what is out there on the internet.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried similar searches for where I live, no luck so far.

Not quite the same: but the last CineSea Gary Sloan (I think) had a 1950s era 16mm film done by the Wildwood chamber of Commerce promoting tourism: the place didn't look all that different!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Uncle Stan worked for Kodak for many years, and was one of the main reasons I got started in this hobby. I saved a 100' reel of standard 8mm film he shot in my hometown in the mid 1950s. The Kodachrome has held up quite well! Here's the YouTube link:
http://youtu.be/fe4GJn2wJog?list=UUx9BTYmDZHAmRYh0Nti46OQ
p.s. I'm the kid picking huckleberries and with my new robot and roller skates at Christmas [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was really nice Joe. I get almost hypnotized viewing old footage like that. Watching the berry picking seems not that far removed from pastoral 19th century rural America.
Thanks for sharing. (cool robot too)

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,
Tim, the woman was my Aunt. The film has a lot of YouTube views because it's linked through the local historical society.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched it. Interesting that it is in colour as (in Europe, anyway) most of what was shooted was in black and white.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 08, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine Kodachrome was pretty popular in R8 back then. Think about it: you couldn't get a color TV, but your home movies could be color.

Joe: have the places changed a lot? I'm sure the people have, but it's nice to look back and recognize places that are still there.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 09, 2015 01:45 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree Guy

I was looking at some film posted on you-tube of a place called Greenock in the 60s...and there it was "the shop" where I bought a small aero engine, that must be around the 1965 mark when I was 13 or 14 years old. I had used my savings from potato picking on a farm and doing folks gardens to make enough money to buy it. Greenock was the only place I could get one of those engines...fun times for sure.

Its strange how your brain will "click" onto something that was almost 50 years ago... you would think would be forgotten.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC