8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recording in Sync on RM8008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recording in Sync on RM8008
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 09, 2015 04:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I did my first recording today on my recently acquired Goko RM8008 Stereo editor.

I used my PCDJVJ set up c/w the Dac3 controller as usual and was really pleased with the ease of use of the editor and the ease in which I found keeping the controller and software in perfect sync.

Ok it was only a 7 minute Roger Rabbit short, but it really didn't take any time at all to find the editors exact running speed and then keep it locked there. The editor speed stayed constant throughout and even when checking results after recording, the editor returned to exactly the same speed and stayed there throughout. No drift whatsoever in the seven minutes the film ran.Very impressed so far.

I will give it a sterner test next by trying a 600 footer in one run, but so far, so good with excellent clear stereo sound on playback. Thoroughly recommended for getting those modern prints up to scratch in an effective and relatively inexpensive manner!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've just lucked out with an RM8008 on the 'bay for £50. Would you mind talking me through the process of re-recording on it using a PC? I have some shorts which I feel could have improved sound quality.

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it would be very interesting.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2016 04:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
ok Stuart, here is just my personal slant and set of experiences of using the RM 8008.

I know many others have used this editor and so I too would be most interested in hearing their personal experiences of these machines in use, especially if anyone ever bothered purchasing the Pedro board for one of these to use with his deluxe sync console.

the first thing I'd say is it is an editor and not a projector.
Where this scores well to begin with is it allows you forward and reverse motions of your films, at speed with ease and without any risk of damage to our precious reels of films unless you crank ridiculously fast with the head still loaded.
(There are various modes to back wind a sequence.)

This gives it a huge plus over nearly all but the very most gentle and well configured projectors out there.

Because this is an editor and not a projector, it only scores down on a projector on one factor, but nevertheless a huge factor when it comes to synchronized recordings.
That is of course, that as an editor, it is sprocketless.

Because it's sprocketless it means it relies solely on the accuracy of the speed of the capstan driven spindle AND the friction it generates against a nice large free wheeling rubber roller that sandwiches the film to the capstan.

When a film is bone dry, it works rather well, well at least for 200ft runs, it does.
Anything longer and of course no matter how accurately a steel roller is being driven by a an accurate D.C. motor..other factors begin to kick in such as friction and slippage etc.
These factors or losses become very difficult to either predict or control even with the variable speed control simply because frictional losses are never linear or consistent.

Use any kind of cleaner or lubricant on your films before attempting to record with this editor, and you really would struggle to even keep sync or any kind of constant precise speed for even 200ft of film!

It's a great editor, the stereo sound achieved from one of these is up there with the very best of em, No doubting that!
But..and here is the but..while ever you are trying to achieve a constant synchronized speed to a pc with some kind of software that allows variable audio speed from your pc, then you really need sprockets for any recording of 200ft length or longer to maintain lip sync.

Even with the Pedro box and board attached to one of these, it may well drive the capstan roller at Quartz Crystal Sync accuracy, but that cannot guarantee that your film transports through that drive system with the same degree of accuracy while ever you are solely relying on friction of a smooth roller set up to do so!

You simply have to have accurately driven sprockets, which of course, no editor does sadly

[ August 24, 2016, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, very illuminating. Hypothetically if one could somehow add a sprocket drive to one of these along with a Pedro modification you'd have a perfect dubbing machine.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Stuart, but sadly that is a highly unlikely event on both counts in this era now.

The Pedro boxes plus the correct motor controlling circuit board have long since been discontinued and I've never even seen even some of the more popular versions of these circuit boards let alone the version for this editor, which surely must have only ever sold just a few units given the obvious restrictions of using a prism editor for synchronized recordings.

As said, in the right circumstances, it's certainly possible to enhance very short runs of film without conditioner on them,but for anything longer, I'd say its nigh on impossible personally.

Hypothetically Stuart, the Pedro Box and circuit board are not the stumbling block here, it's very possible to make decent synchronized recordings without one using the right kit.
it's the fact the film cannot be driven at a stable constant speed for any lengthy periods.

The circuit board or the Pedro Box would do nothing to alter this characteristic in any way.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC