8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Making white boxes into film covers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making white boxes into film covers
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2015 12:06 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I am sure alot of members do it but I have only just started making covers for my 8mm films that come in plain boxes because the original covers were damaged or just thrown away many years ago.
The internet is a wealth of sources for making covers with pictures etc.
I am enjoying it too....sure they don't look like the original types and not glossy etc but not too bad I reckon.

-

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2015 01:15 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton,
Those look very good!In time I hope to do the same with some of my movies as well.
Cheers,'
Douglas

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think good looking box art makes a huge difference about how you, and other people, perceive and value your collection. A great film, digest, or trailer, deserves a lot better than just a plain white box with a title pasted on it. Many people here on the forum really enjoy designing and displaying their own box art. Here is one I did of the U8 400ft release of Psycho, to which I have added the famous Hitchcok trailer:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Paul..very professional looking.
Ironically with the wife out on a works leaving do,I am just in the middle of creating the Laminated Artwork for some of my newer items. First up is "Never Say Never Again", now on one Elmo 1200ft spool in a plain white card 1200ft box.
Just about to stick the laminations on it now.

As you say Paul, to me, it reflects the love of the collection to the collector I feel, if the films are well presented with beautiful artwork and housings.

A big thank you to Lee Mannering for providing a scan of the original Derann artwork on this. This now forms a section of the total newly created box art on the 1200ft sized box now.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is a good cover Paul....like most things I will get more creative at making covers as I do more....and try and find original artwork on the net and use those....laminating is a good idea and I have one at the DVD & Blu-ray rental store I own here in Matamata.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It really does just add that finishing professional touch Clinton, as well as keeping the printed artwork clean and resilient.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A year ago my collection had a large number of 200 footers in generic Derann white boxes - very unattractive. I have been working through them a few at a time and now have most of them done. What a huge improvement to the appearance of my collection - the boxes are now a great ad for the film treasure they contain! One thing though, I have not been laminating the printed artwork like Andrew, instead I attach it to the box with glossy Scotch packaging tape across the whole surface. This seems to do a pretty good job, and it gives a nice glossy look and protective finish to the art work.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 05:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt the same end result if not better as I feel I know you Paul!

As you say Paul, you look through your collection with a renewed sense of pride much greater overall satisfaction.

I know I do anyhow.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2015 05:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish you did the Universal 8 artwork, it was not very good on a lot of them.

I to like to create my own boxart if they come in plain boxes.

Some of the boxes that the the distrubutors had were poor too.

I wonder who did the best artwork over the years?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Technology allows us much greater creativity nowadays David than the creators of S8 boxes ever had back then in 1978. It's just great I feel,that we can now modernize our artwork and soundtracks even if we cannot turn back the hands of time with what we now have and know of today!

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just done a few more super8 covers to make my plain or nearly plain film covers more exciting [Smile]
 -
Not only does it make finding films easier but I think it looks better - the internet is a wealth of pictures to do this little job! [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 08:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Grest work Clinton! i'm lovin' it!!

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 01:36 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few of mine.

-

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 01:45 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Timothy!
They look really good [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 10, 2015 06:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Superb Timothy! Really well done. [Razz]

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2015 10:49 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, to be fair, I was a graphic artist at the time i made those and had every tool for doing so at my disposal.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC