8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST1200HD Inching knob removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST1200HD Inching knob removal
Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the inching knob can be temporarily removed on an ST1200HD so that a scope lens bracket can be fitted? I have tried to unscrew it but it doesn't move, and I don't want to break it.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 26, 2015 06:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What is an inching knob?????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a knob that you turn to slowly advance the film. Typically used after you thread the film to make sure the claws engage the sprocket holes and the film travels smoothly through its path.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 26, 2015 06:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the framing knob Barry?

Still don't get why ANY knob needs to removed to fit a scope lens bracket though?????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2015 08:55 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can remove it when you open the back cover. It's not a vital part of the projection or mechanics. If you're not going to use it in the still position for frame by frame use, then it will be useless to you. If you email me, I'll take a pic of what to look for.

John

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2015 09:31 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Barry has caught my interest with this 'inching knob'......
I know what you mean with the term framing knob....what i am interested in is what he said about it moving the sprockets closer into the film holes... I wonder if this is why sometimes i get 'chatter' and then other times the film runs smooth as silk..maybe all i need ed to do on my 1200HD was to adjust this knob??
Interesting question Phil regardless...
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 26, 2015 11:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if necessary it can be removed however, after over 30 years of using the 1200HDs i have never had to turn it in after threading a film to ensure the claw en gauges the sprocket holes, [Wink]

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The inching knob is preventing a scope bracket being attached on this model, unlike the GS800 or the ST800 which doesn't have one. Ideally I would like to be able to remove it for scope shows and to put it back at other times. If it just screwed off, I could do this, but it doesn't seem to. I don't want to cut it off permenantly incase I ever sell the projector.

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 03:10 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry’s point is valid, but the inching knob is also invaluable if you want to start the film at a precise point for rerecording a soundtrack or a reel change over, you can use the inching knob to line up a number on the countdown leader with the aperture in the gate to start the film at the precise point.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 27, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The inching knob is the large knob on the front panel to the right of the lens.
http://super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_elmo/elmo_st1200dmo.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, The inching knob is held in place with a small centre screw, to gain access to this you have to remove the silver trim on the front of the knob which is glued on, unfortunately you would still be left with a shaft protruding, may be easier to find a smaller scope bracket.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll attempt to remove it. I'll stick to my GS800 for scope shows.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC