8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo k100 Split Glass Fungus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo k100 Split Glass Fungus
Rui Luis
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 03:45 AM      Profile for Rui Luis   Author's Homepage   Email Rui Luis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, someone can help me with removing fungus on the heat proof glass? Or someone have one of this parts for sell?

Kind Regards!

|  IP: Logged

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 06:21 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luis,

You don't really need the glass. Film won't burn without it; but if you're more comfortable with it on, just use white vinegar mixed with water. Glass is a non porous surface, so it cleans off almost immediately.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Rui Luis
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 06:24 AM      Profile for Rui Luis   Author's Homepage   Email Rui Luis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot John! Some people says without glass can burn the film. This already happens to me with other kind of projector without glass.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 09:32 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can't melt film if it's running at 24 FPS. I've removed the glass on an ST 1200 (the 1st edition machine) and that machine is brighter than the D or HD and still didn't burn any film. If you're comfy leaving it on, clean it with the vinegar and water then finish it with glass cleaner.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 27, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't chance it on still frame though with the split glass removed. It can burn film in those circumstances.

This is especially probable if the diffuser mechanism isn't 100 percent, as a lot of these machines can be if the clutch mechanism has been maladjusted by people who do not know what they are doing.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My st had this, but when you go into still frame a device that looks a bit like a tea strener with glass sandwiched between pops up to protect the film. My thoughts are that it was to keep the heat to a curtain ectent off the film gate it directed the air flow away from it.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
David, the part you are describing as a "Tea Strainer" is in fact the Diffuser that I refer to above.
It works in pretty much the way you describe where it only allows a small amount of light and therefore heat onto the stationary frame when the projector is placed in still mode.

Trouble is.. as with all things ST, the mechanism is somewhat "Heath Robinson" and therefore if the clutch mechanism has been maladjusted, this can, in turn, cause the diffuser to only partially block the frame or in some cases not at all.
This then, always results in a burned frame of film.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason for these (though maybe not planned) is that if the halogen lamp bursts it protects the film and gate from pieces of quartz. I thought that my Agfa Family back projector had suffered from this when it was repaired. Of course with that the glass heat filter is in place all the time as stills are identified on the film with a burnt in marker, a bit like the 9.5 notch, that puts it into single frame projection mode.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,the diffuser would do nothing to protect the film if the lamp explodes in normal run mode as it is lifted well out of the way of the gate and film frame.

Maybe in still frame it would help, but how often do any of us use this facility? So what's the odds of the lamp exploding just as you do?

I must be lucky anyhow as I have never had a halogen lamp explode and cause any damage. Usually for me, the light just goes off and on inspection, the capsule is black or cloudy or both.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC