8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to 8mm / Projector Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to 8mm / Projector Advice
Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2015 07:37 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks!

I currently own an EIKI 16mm, but am considering getting involved with 8mm as well. My question is.. what would be the most ideal projector for my needs? I would like a dual machine that will take care of Super if I should happen to run into something id like to see. In which case it will also have to have sound. I have checked into Eumig's, but the ones I have seen so far seem to have a specific speaker hookup instead of 1/4 inch jack output like my Eiki NT. I basically just want it to be durable, kind of easy on film, and as quiet as possible because my screening room is rather small.

Thanks for the help!

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2015 09:50 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a dual-8 machine with sound, Eumig is about your only option. Just get yourself a European speaker plug-to-1/4" jack adapter and you're all set.

--------------------
John Hermes

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2015 10:10 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Can you recommend a model? Also.. checking around I have a found a couple more options.. a Sankyo Sound 500, and a Chinon Sound 9000. So I am narrowing it down. Does anyone have any experience with either of these I have mentioned?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 07, 2015 04:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have many Sankyo models, but not the 500, although I do have a 501. Nor do I have a Chinon 9000, but I do have a 9000MV.

If I had to choose between the two projectors you mention I would go for the Chinon as it can also handle optical sound. However, make sure the one on offer is suitable for US mains voltage.

Be aware that these are on for Super 8 only.

As mentioned above by John, if you want a dual gauge projector go for a Eumig. I particularly recommend the Eumig Mark S810D HQS, the letters HQS stand for "High Quality Sound", there was an earlier model without the HQS designation, but the HQS has superior sound.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC