8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Close Encounters 400' Editing.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Close Encounters 400' Editing.
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 09:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I was wondering what the editing on the 400' digest of Close Encounters is like? I vaguely recall that Super 8 Film Maker reviewed it years ago and said it was a bit rushed.Any thoughts on it?
Thanks!

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 12:21 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas,

I'm afraid the 8mm print of "CE3K" should be classed in the sovenir bracket, as it has many memorable scenes, but lacks real cohesion story wise. By all accounts Spielberg had a hand in the editing for the 8mm release (he was a fan after all of 8mm), but in this case I don't think his help (interferance!), helped at all. Personaly I'd never be without a print of this (well it is my favourite film of all time!) whatever the editing.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 21, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its one of those features I wish I bought when I had the chance from Derann. Only a handful of prints out there [Confused]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 21, 2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some prints of this digest are on low fade, so if you are lucky enough no matter the edit you can still enjoy the colorful picture.

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your feedback.I'm looking forward to my copy and hopefully the color won't be too bad.
Douglas

--------------------

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I like my 400' copy of Close Encounters, it is a somewhat confusing edit. Lots of great scenes though. Also, I hope your copy has less fade than mine Doug.

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Clay,though I have a feeling the color is going to show some fade.It's a big favorite of mine so I'll be happy to finally own a print.
Douglas

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potential one of the best films that could have appeared on super 8 & one of my all time favourite films. I personally thought the digest was one of the worst. As Barry said, it can only be referred to as a souvenier print and nothing more. I got the idea that Mr Spielberg didn't want too many shots of the mother ship in there. Just a few seconds would have made a massive difference, mainly when the huge ship is actually rising in full shot when everyone in the cinema was dead silent and then you heard the gasps. Just this one shot lasting a few seconds would have made a poor cut down so much better even though its
sides would have been cropped in its 4.3 picture.
I remember when I first got it on its 8mm released and paid the full 29.99 and was so disappointed with its content and grainy picture. All the more reason I kick myself for not getting in quick when the scope feature was released. [Wink]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so thrilled to be able to have ANYthing from Close Encounters, that I bought the reel right after it was released. Yes, it does work better if you've seen the feature, but most everyone who bought the digest HAD seen it, including me. So I was pretty satisfied with the reel. How could it NOT be fast paced when they had to shrink down a film well over two hours, most of which was a slow buildup to the frantic finish? For the time it was released, I thought the color and image were as good as anything being churned out in color by the Columbia's and the Kens. Almost all the Ken color releases at that time were rather blah colorwise....obviously several generations away from the original material. OK, but not like the later Derann's and such. So I never had a problem with the digest, except, of course, I would have wanted it longer. But at 49.99 (the price I paid cause I still have the receipt) one reel at that time would have been all I could afford , anyway.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh, if only they had the sense to make it available as a scope digest!!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC