8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Zeiss-Ikon Movilux 8A

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zeiss-Ikon Movilux 8A
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2015 06:21 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this little beauty for awhile but just recently took it out to check it over. On power up, motor starts slowly and after a minute or so gets up to speed. I decided to run it for a while and let it get good an warm to possibly loosen up any old grease, even though I newly lubed gears with lithium grease. After about five minutes, the motor slowed and then stopped completely. I can hear a very slight hum from the motor (with the back cover off), but it is not turning. Nothing is hot or even real warm to the touch. It is not a spindle or reel arm gear binding as they are not connected. Any clue to what the problem may be? The motor does not have brushes.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the motor needs to be re-wound, there are companies that do that. I'm not sure what it would cost but it may be worth it for such a beautiful projector.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 24, 2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a gorgeous little machine Barry! Looks a little like an 18-5 but definately has its own charachter. Hope you can fix it.
Do you get these machines mainly for a display collection, or do you actually run them?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. I am primarily a projector collector. My main focus now is on 16mm sound projectors but I started out with 8mm. I had over 110 projectors at one time but I have sold off most of my 8mm and 16mm silent projectors. I am keeping certain projectors like the Movilux that are particularly handsome in design. All my projectors are in working order, but as a practical matter, I only use a few of them to view films. Viewing films is not something I do very often and my collection of films is limited. Here is another pic, without the sound syncing sonerizer attached.

-

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a side comment..... [Smile]
Paul is right, it is a beautiful looking projector , alot of projectors have that "projector" look and then every-now-and-then these ones appear , especially with the sound syncing sonerizer attached [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 07:09 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate those nice comments. It also came in pink and blue colors! Something I have not seen on any other projector, is a removable auto-threading device. It would have been great if other makers had offered this. I don't like the auto threading on my 18-5 projector. Pic below shows the auto threader attached. Also a full side shot with sonerizer.

-

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 24, 2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those wonderful pics Barry. What an absolutely stunning machine, and one I have never seen before. I had no idea that was a tape synchronizer device on top. As Clinton says, all projectors should look this good! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This projector was beautiful but also very simple. The take up real was driven by a rubber belt that attached to the little gray knob with the red dot that is just to the left of the power switch in the picture. For rewind the belt was taken off and put on A similar gray knob on the front of the projector and then attached to the feed reel pulley.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 24, 2015 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think it's great that Barry collects these projectors primarily for display. He obviously feels the same way as I do, that many of these machines are beautiful pieces of mechanical design art, as well as functioning motion picture projectors.
I also commend him for not turning them into table lamps! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 11:28 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. I wish my wife shared that sentiment!

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2015 07:34 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Barry.
I had a Meopta AM8 with a similar problem.
In these case it was a defect capacitator

Kind regards

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Niels,
I think you are correct. I will try replacing it if I can find one that will fit. It is the large aluminum can capacitor shown in the picture of the back.

[ February 25, 2015, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi do the movielux projectors operate at a set speed eg 16 or 18 FPS or is the speed variable? Cheers MIKE

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 12:49 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to concur with Niels

Capacitor can dry out over time very easily, so its likely kaput

Replace it and I bet it runs well - pretty projector

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 02:34 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post the printing (all of it) on the capacitor, and the dimensions? So long as a replacement meets, or exceeds, the electrical specification the actual form doesn't matter.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced the capacitor and it is still slow to start but will get up to speed after warming up. Replacement had same specs as original.
Michael, it has a single set speed.
The cap is about 2.2 inches including the terminals. There is only 2.6 inches total room in the space where the cap is located. Here is a pic of the original cap.

-

[ March 04, 2015, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the same projector without the sonerizer or auto feed attachments. It looks like new and came in the original box with the instruction manual. The only thing it didn't come with was the belt to run the reel arms. It may also need a new belt for the motor. When I plug it in the motor sounds like it runs fine and the light comes on but nothing moves. I know I can order the belts from Van Eck but is there a cheaper option like O-rings. If so does anyone know the sizes? Also, how does the rear cover come off? I don't want to damage anything by trying to force it off.

I'm amazed at how small this projector is! I was expecting it to be about the same size as a Bolex 18-5 but it's closer to half that size.

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 06, 2017 05:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a beautiful piece of mechanical art Barry. Great for display, but I am sure you like to have your display pieces fully functioning, as I do. Good luck with the belt.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I figured out how to open the back. It looks slightly different from Barry's projector, if you look at the right side of the motor Barry's has a circuit board where mine does not. I have the connection for the sonerizer so it's not that. It looks like it may have something to do with a different capacitor setup.

-

I figured out why nothing is moving when the motor is running, the belt is missing. This brings up a new question, how do I get the belt installed. There's no problem getting it on the motor side but the other pulley is on a shaft that runs the length of the projector. It looks like it disconnects at the pulley but I don't see how to get enough slack to separate the pulley enough to get a belt squeezed in there. If anyone has done this please let me know how.

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC