8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Writing asking for help identifying movie camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Writing asking for help identifying movie camera
Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 02, 2015 08:04 PM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a writer on deadline for a book. I am trying to identify a movie camera that was used by one of the individuals about whom I am writing. I'm attaching a photo. The man on the right is holding the camera. His wife is holding the bag for it, I believe. My guess is that it's a kodak cine, but what model? Then my question is: how did it work? As a writer, I want to be able to give the reader a feel for what it was like to have that in hand and operate while trying to do something else at the same time (watch a swim meet). Thanks! Julie Checkoway

-

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

|  IP: Logged

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 08:51 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Julie, welcome to the forum.
I think that camera is a 1930's Kodak Model K 16mm movie camera. I have not used one but I'm guessing it was key wound as opposed to battery operated. Someone with more experience with them will hopefully respond. Good luck - Clay i

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is a Kodak model M. It was operated by winding it up by turning a crank handle on the side. Compared to battery powered camars of today, it was a pain due to the need to stop filming to wind it every so often.

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 02, 2015 09:24 PM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I thought it was either a K or M. So I will have ton of questions regarding what it felt like to use. The book I'm writing is a history of a swim coach who was using one of these pretty early on to film swimmers and analyze their strokes. So I'll probably need to talk to an expert expert who knows these things in and out. Any thoughts? You are so kind!

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 09:29 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of UK and European members on the forum Julie, hopefully there will be some more responses in 12 hours or so.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 10:42 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is most certainly a model M. The model K was a more expensive camera with interchangeable lens. It had a chrome crank handle, and the front framer was chrome and afixd to the lens. The model M was the economy version with a fixed lens and no chrome around the lens or on the crank. You can see both models and more information on them here. Scroll down to page 6 and beyond to see the comparison.
http://www.libraryweb.org/~digitized/tradecats/kodak/Cine_Kodaks_1933.pdf

[ March 03, 2015, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 07:15 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very briefly Julie, using any movie camera of that era was far removed from today's point-and-shoot video cameras. You had to learn a bit about all aspects of shooting with film, such as:
Loading the film, usually on rolls that had to be threaded through the camera, but often contained within drop-in magazines.

Winding up the clockwork motor. You migh get 60 seconds on one wind if you are lucky.

Set the focus ring on the lens for the subject distance from the camera.

Set the light exposure, which depended on the speed(sensitivity) of the film you were using, and the prevailing light conditions, sunny,cloudy,overcast etc.

You shot your roll of film in brief segments of maybe 10 or 20 seconds, and you took a lot of care setting up your shots because film was expensive, and you had to send the film off for processing before you could see how well you had done.

All far removed from the ease of todays digital video. But most of us here would say that the results were usually far better.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 03, 2015 03:17 PM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are great. Did he need a tripod? Was it noisy? Could he use it in rain?
How far away or close did he have to be from, say, guys swimming a race in a pool?

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 04:42 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tripod would have been helpful but not required. He would have a steadier shot with a tripod but many amateur movies were filmed without.

Was it noisy? Not too bad, it would make a chattering noise but not very loud.

Could he use it in the rain? It would get ruined if it got wet, maybe with an umbrella to protect it.

How far away or close did he have to be from, say, guys swimming a race in a pool? That depends on the lens but I would say the minimum focus would be less than 6 feet.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 06:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, I would advise you to try to find someone near to you to own a cine camera that uses spools and has a cranck handle. Nothing will beat the feeling to manipulate it. You don't need to find specifically the model that appears on the picture, it can even be a double 8 camera. The point is to feel the contact with a beautifully designed metallic object, put for example, your eye in the viewfinder and see that if it is not a reflex camera, you will not exactly have the same picture on the film than on the viewfinder (especially if you get closer the subject you're filming). If it was realistic I would even advise you to shoot a film to see by yourself that in most of the cases 30 seconds of filming (what the spring allows you) is more than enough as a scene usually needs 5 to 15 seconds (scènes became longer with the sound). Not knowing immediately what the result is is also a reality of filming on stock. Watching some old home movies may also help you to feel things.

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 05:03 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's what the other member said a
Antique 1920's Cine Kodak Model B 16mm Cine Movie Camera

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 08:26 AM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just to clarify.....its a 1930s cine M, yes? It makes a HUGE difference if this is from the 20s. Can folks confirm the 1930s? M? Thanks so much. Julie

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Colin Auty
Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 08:56 AM      Profile for Colin Auty   Email Colin Auty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Julie
the camera in the photo is a 1931 16mm Cine- Kodak Model BB Junior(1:3,5)with the Kodak Anastigmat 1:1,9/25mm lens -hope this helps.
PM me with your e-mail adress and I'll send you a picture of it.
Regards
Colin

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, folks--just to clarify. I am writing a book of history, so I have to get this one 100% accurate. Should I be providing a clearer image for you to see? I would need exact year, exact model, as the camera is central to the story I am telling. This is a book for publication to a general audience, November pub date. I can't get this wrong. Help? [Smile]

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2015 09:27 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, if the camera is the centre of the story in an historic book, I modify my preceeding message. It's a must for you to hold one (or one alike) in your hands and to manipulate it for a while. A old cine amateur book may helm you to understand some technical aspects of filming with such a camera.

--------------------
Dominique

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 11:25 AM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic,
Totally agree. But first have to identify the model of the darn thing and the year.
for those who would like to see an image in full here's a dropbox link.
Most grateful. Once I know which camera/year it is, then I can also consult the manual. I have manuals from 1933-47, thanks to a kind poster here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr95shk2qaaleyg/1941%20high%20point%20PIC%20OF%20COACH%20ADN%20MISSUS%20copy.tif?dl=0

Here is the link to a page someone has suggested that seems to be the model BB. Thoughts?
www.valleystream.co uk/alexander-archive-3.htm

Please only weigh in if you are absolutely certain. I am under deadline. [Smile] J

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 11:41 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, I would agree with Barry, It looks like the Kodak Model M.

This is a Kodak Model BB junior, note the lack of crank in the top right side of the camera. Instead it has a winding key in the lower right side.
 -
This is the Model M, Note the winding crank in the top right side of the camera. The crank is black, not chrome like the model K as seen in the link Barry provided above.
 -

This is the camera in question, you can see the black crank in the top right side of the camera.
 -

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nota bene: Acknowledgment in book to the person or persons most helpful and accurate.....
[Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 04, 2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, whoever it was taking these movies with that Cine-Kodak camera, they would also have needed a projector to show it. Do you need information on likely projectors that they would have used for this time period?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 10:20 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bryan. Your photos prove what I said. It is without question a model M.

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 06, 2015 10:52 AM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job, folks! I think the higher res picture helped all. And yes, I do think it would be helpful to know what it's like to operate the projector. I have, via Barry an excellent manual of choices, but I do not know which the individual used. I would like to know how loud it was, how hot it would get, how long one could run it without overheating it. He used to watch movies in a small plantation house at night, for hours. With thanks, Julie

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as he had a Cine-Kodak camera, chances are he had a Kodascope 16mm silent projector. The 1930's models were the K,l,E, and G. These machines typically had lamps ranging from 300 watts to 750 watts, so they put out a lot of heat, and would certainly help warm up a room on a cold night. There was no limitation on how long they could be run.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Julie Checkoway
Junior

- posted March 06, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Julie Checkoway   Author's Homepage   Email Julie Checkoway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How loud would they have been? His wife was trying to sleep in the same room! [Smile]

--------------------
Julie Checkoway
writer

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About as loud as a sewing machine. If his films were typical of most people's home movies, his wife would have no trouble sleeping! [Big Grin]

-

[ March 06, 2015, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2015 11:02 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, even though the lamps put out a lot of heat, the projectors were made with internal fans that blew air across/over the lamp and kept it from overheating. Without some sort of indication what brand of projector he used, we could only speculate as to what he used. I agree with Paul that the chances are good that it was a Kodak model.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC