8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo projector stopping mid-reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo projector stopping mid-reel
Amy Dahlhoff
Junior

- posted March 03, 2015 10:03 PM      Profile for Amy Dahlhoff   Email Amy Dahlhoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Honeywell Elmo 380 Dual 8 projector with variable speed. We have replaced the belts, cleaned the gears and even replaced the capacitor, but are having the same problem--The projector will slow way down and eventually stop mid-reel. We think the issue could be the drive rollers not making enough contact with the shutter wheel. Any other suggestions or where we could get a new roller? OR do we need to replace the spring?

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 12:39 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it runs properly and then begins to degrade, then you can rule out the spring tension because it has sufficient 'contact', or the motor would not slow down. The problem is drive mechanics are becoming 'harder' to turn. Likewise you can rule out belts for the same reason.

I would check to be sure the clutch mechanism was working properly on the take-up. Sounds like it is not 'slipping' and it needs to as the load increases ... otherwise the motor is working too hard and the projector slows down.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amy,

I have encountered this on several Elmo's that I have had.
They start off projecting fine, until after a reel or 2 they start slowing down and turning up the speed control wouldn't help them speed up.

I eventually found that the small motor drive belt I had fitted was too tight and this was causing the bearing inside the rubber drive wheel to get real hot and start to seize. You don't want the drive wheel bearing overloaded by a tight belt, or then it will start to cook and seize like mine.

Try replacing your belt with as loose a belt that you can get away with, without it slipping.
A tiny drop of oil into the small bearing helps in freeing them up, but don't get any oil at all on the rubber drive wheel or it will slip on the shutter wheel. If still needed, shorten the spring that gives the rubber drive wheel the pull against the shutter edge.

See how you go after trying that, and good luck,

dogtor [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Amy Dahlhoff
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Amy Dahlhoff   Email Amy Dahlhoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! We put a tighter spring on and after wiping away excess oil/grease it seemed to be running fine. Then the belt blew. I think the one we have in the pic is tighter than the one that broke. Will trouble shoot again with the spring and possibly a looser belt. I think the only thing left replacing is the bottom drive pulley as the rubber may be hard/degraded. Do you know where I can get a replacement?

-

--------------------
Amy

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 03:20 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try some of this on the rollers.
http://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-RUBBER-CLEANER-REJUVENATOR/dp/B0005JNPE4/ref=sr_1_1/187-9444140-0793104?ie=UTF8&qid=1425503634&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+cleaner+%26+rejuvenator#custome rReviews

Amy Dahlhoff
Junior

- posted March 04, 2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Amy Dahlhoff   Email Amy Dahlhoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We added some high temperature grease to the drive pulley, but it still gets very hot. We tried three different size belts/o-rings and none of them make a difference--it still gets hot. Also, I don't really have a fast speed. High speed is very slow. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Amy

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amy,

Keep fitting progressively looser O rings till there is no more heat being produced in the bearing or the belt starts to slip.

Just because you have tried 3 belts already, doesn't mean you have got the right one. Too much heat means too tight.

dogtor [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Amy Dahlhoff
Junior

- posted March 06, 2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Amy Dahlhoff   Email Amy Dahlhoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I have the loosest o-ring without slipping, but the projector still runs very slow and eventually stops--although it isn't getting so hot anymore. And from Roy's comment, the clutch mechanism seems to work properly on the take-up. I ran the projector without film and it ran beautifully. But when I load a reel of film, it really drags, all gears eventually stop but the fan and shutter wheel run. We are at a loss! [Confused]

--------------------
Amy

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The takeup spins fastest when you first load the film, as film accumulates on the takeup the reel slows down. The clutch is designed to allow the reel to slow down without causing the other mechanics to bog down. One way to test if the clutch is working ( or is the root of the problem ) would be to place an empty reel on the takeup spindle, then start the projector without any film. Grasp the reel to prevent it from spinning - if the projector slows down then there is a problem with the clutch - if it runs fine then there is not.

The fact it projects until mid reel points at a problem with the takeup, and the increasing load the film imposes.

What size reel are you using ?

"But when I load a reel of film, it really drags, all gears eventually stop but the fan and shutter wheel run"

If the shutter is spinning and the rest of the projector is not then I would check the set screw that attaches the shutter to the drive train

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2015 10:45 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amy,

have you lubricated any of the mechanicals yet?

dogtor

[Wink] [Smile]

[ March 10, 2015, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC