8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elderly Specto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elderly Specto
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Specto 8mm projector which was working perfectly last week suddenly went 'pop' and is now as dead as a dodo. I suspect a short circuit. Any ideas anyone? Thanks MIKE [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2015 06:10 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Most likely fault is a motor windings insulation or a transformer failure which means rewinding the motor or a replacement motor or transformer. However you need to check the electrics systematically to find the fault.

--------------------
Paul.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the black model or the later brown model? I have a motor that you can have if that is the faulty part.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Divide and Conquer:

Disconnect the motor (and lamp) circuitry from the transformer, put in a new fuse, plug it into a switched (off) outlet, put on your welding mask and fire suit (kidding), yell "Fire in the hole!!!" and let 'er rip!

If you don't blow a fuse with the transformer alone, keep adding circuits back until you do.

Even before that, look at things like the condition of the power cord. Look around inside the case for scorch marks. Try to sniff out something that smells overheated. (You'll know it when you find it.)

Are you good with an ohmmeter?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone looks like I need to do some investigating! Cheers. MIKE

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who replied to my original post and apologies for the delay in getting back. The delay was caused by the untimely arrival of my new grandson James. He was delivered by my marvelous son in law Martin on their living room floor! Mother and baby doing well.
Re the Specto, I've discovered that the capacitor has come apart. There is what looks like a black blister on the side of it and the bottom has completely come away. Is this likely to be the cause of the projector not working or a symptom of something else? Cheers MIKE

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 10:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations for James.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 10:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "pop" was probably the capacitor blowing out. If the details of the rating and capacitance are still readable you can probably get a replacement.
If not, I am sure other Specto owners will be able to advise.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted March 31, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its the big capacitor inside the base its just an interference suppression capacitor for the motor. You can take it out and run the projector without it. People around you listening to AM radio wont thank you for the extra crackles but at least you will confirm the casue of the problem.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC