8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question for French Collectors, (and you too!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for French Collectors, (and you too!)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning the "Film Office" French release of "Warlords of Atlantis" ...

Was this a 4X200ft release, or a 5X200ft release?

I ask as I noticed that the flow of the story line for the digest is very good for reels 2,3 and 4, but the jump in the edit (from the submersible being attacked by the aquatic Dino and finding the gold object ... to a very quick cut at the beginning of part 2, where not only are they captured, but the other shipmates from reel 1, on the boat, are also now imprisoned at the start of reel 2).

In other words, is this supposed to be 1,2,3 and 4, or 1,2,3,4 and 5 200ft reels?

I'm just wondering if I should start the hunt for a missing reel, or not?

I thank you for your time.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi... i have the Original Katalog from France, i look on the weekend.

Here in Germany gives from this title a 3x400 Version

Ciao Andi

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most interesting!

So now, I know of three versions ...

German version 3X400ft
IVERS (UK) version 4X400ft (rather short 400ft reels, can be combined onto 2X600ft)
French Film Office version (4X200ft or 5X200ft) ?

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Film Office only had 4 x 200ft extracts.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 20, 2015 02:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

This terrific site has a 1980 Film Office Catalog that includes a list of the four parts.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my computer, Doug's link leads to a general page and I had to look for a while to find the catalogue. So, if it can help, I clicked on the shining "super-8-hobby.de" link from the first page, then on "nostalgie" and then of course on "Film Office". Doug's link gives several catalogues, which is wonderfull. thanks, Doug.

[ March 26, 2015, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, I have the full Film Office version. Very good print and on Agfa, but a horrid edit from reel 1 to reel 2.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ossi, I think that there was a difference between a digest (sold in one box) and extracts. It seems that for this films Film office made extracts.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 01:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me understand this ...

When we say "digest" that means specific edit to tell an abbreviated story ...

"Extracts" are full length scenes put out individually?

If that's so, then I think that these are 4X200ft "extracts" from the film ...

However, I have noted that there is some editing to these extracts as well.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 06:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, your explanation is right. Some companies (like Disney) relased extracts with no links between them. In the cas of Film Office (if I'm wrong, please, someone, correct me), I think that they had two kind of severa reelers from one same film : for some films, they made digests (and then these reels were sold in the same box) while for some other films they made extracts. But I agree that if you splice the different extracts together, you have almost a digest.

--------------------
Dominique

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Doug, thanks for that.
Just briefly off-topic of "Warlords" but re. that link.
There is an advert here for what looks to be a filmfare
with 8, 16 and 35mm for sale.
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/basar.htm
For those that may be interested in film, don't bother.
It's 100% dvds and most definitely not worth the effort unless dvd's are your thing.
The advert is massively misleading, as we found out in the November filmfare to our huge disappointment.

--------------------
Ron

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC