8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S940 Stereo Multiprocessor (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S940 Stereo Multiprocessor
Chris de Gruiter
Junior

- posted March 20, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Chris de Gruiter   Email Chris de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've obtained an Eumig S940 Stereo Multiprocessor. For this projector we already have a worm gear (http://www.van-eck.net/images-webwinkel/PP-0069-Eumig-S9-series-wormgear.jpg)
and we're looking into the little red clip that holds the mechanism to keep the film against the sound head.

Are there any other parts in this machine that break of fail and need replacement? Please let me know.

--------------------
Chris

Engineer at "van Eck Video Services"

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 07:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not off the top of my head Chris, but the red clip you describe always fails after using many times so I would be interested in one of those if made much thicker and stronger than the original from Eumig.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I too had a 940 where the red clip failed and the sound was muffled. [Mad]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The S940 sound controls are quite fragile. Mine has one slider knob missing. I'm not sure if there would be a great market for them, however, as it doesn't affect sound quality.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a very valid point Jonathan, problem is the weak link is not the slider knobs but the cheap Linear Potentiometer plastic shafts. these cannot be changed out without changing the entire Linear Potentiometer.

They did tend to use a lot of cheap engineered parts I find, did Eumig. Looking at last nights video, they really should have been able to manufacture some parts much better than they actually did, I feel.

I filled all the inner sections of my slider knobs on these with a small amount of Blue Tack. That way the knobs can be easily removed but will stay put even if one leg of the weak potentiometer shaft is lost, as is often the case.

I find this works to great effect on these.

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew. I'll bear that idea in mind if any fall off.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They will Jonathan, I promise [Frown]

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 07:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reassurance Andrew! [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 08:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just past experience Jonathan, nothing smug, hope all of yours hang on in there, but if not, at least you know of a solution. [Smile]

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 08:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Andrew's comment about some Eumig parts. Eumig really were "The Wizards of Vienna" when it came to brilliant design features in cine projectors. They were respnsible for so many innovations which truly advanced the state of the art. But, unfortunately, when it came to generating many of their plastic components, they look as if they were designed as metal parts, and were trying to save money on plastic injection molding material! Wall thicknesses are way to thin, many parts features are alarmingly fragile, and some of them look like they were intended for throw away toys!
This was certainly not the case on the 700 and 800 series machines, which were built like tanks, but the 900 series machines definately had their share of poorly designed components, probably resulting from a new design team being assigned to these machines.
Andrew has mentioned the linear pots, and I am sure all 900 series owners have experienced them breaking off. On both my 926's and my 938 I have had the main power switch fail - definately a poor design sliding switch. On both my 926's I have also had the main rotary control knob indent break off, and also part of the lift up rewind roller assembly.
Looking at my 938, it looks like Eumig made some design changes to the control knob indent design, and so far mine has been fine.
But I have had to bond a couple of those little control knobs.
So one plus for the GS1200 is that all the plastic components are really well designed, with heavy wall thicknesses.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2015 09:33 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what I like about the GS1200 over the S940 is image steadiness, no matter how scratched the film.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 20, 2015 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jonathan, at least on my machine, the 938 is absolutely rock steady, about the best I have seen on any of my projectors, including the GS.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Paul: if you project a test film, it will almost look like a slide with the Eumigs. Elmo have very good registration, but Eumig is superior (albeit less durable...).

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 21, 2015 10:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced both situations on my 938.
When I first got it, it projected a rock steady picture.
Nowadays when even a 200ft reel of film gets towards the end there is noticeable vertical movement in the frame.
This is unusual on any machine with two sprockets though very common of course on lesser machines with just one.

As it is the machine I use least in this day and age, I haven't bothered trying to investigate what is causing this movement, but one day, I will get around to looking at it.
It may need a little claw penetration adjustment but the mechanism for doing this on this machine is quite crude in comparison to my other machines where this can be done with precision.

It is pretty much the same story with my ST1200 nowadays,in that it is very seldom used. It spends most of its life gathering dust sadly.

I cannot part with it though until I find a much better solution for my long play optical prints.

For 600ft reels the Bauer T190 is excellent but as it has no top sprocket it cannot work properly with the Spondon Long Play Arms.

[ March 21, 2015, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 21, 2015 10:37 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, when you get around to your 938 again, try making minor adjustments to the position of the fixed edge guide in the gate. It is held in place by two screws at the outermost part of the rear gate plate. I once had unsteadiness on my 938 and I spent some time getting that side edge guide in just the right position. Now, as Maurizio says, its as rock steady as a projected slide.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 21, 2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Paul. That's what I will look at then Paul when I get around to looking at it. [Razz]

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 04:33 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

What did you actually mean by this?

"It may need a little claw penetration adjustment but the mechanism for doing this on this machine is quite crude in comparison to my other machines where this can be done with precision."

dogtor [Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Harm Jan Heling
Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Harm Jan Heling   Author's Homepage   Email Harm Jan Heling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a 940, problem is I can't get the film out (seems the film can't get past the sound head?) and rewinding with the film in the machine doesn't work, it stalls. Forward no problem though... Strange.

Rewinding the film when not not running through the projector is fine.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unloading film at midway projec tion on this machine is not as straightforward as in other projectors: You have to remove the black plastic guide beneath the rear sprocket and you have to remove the sound pressure pad cartridge under the sound head assembly. This is easy to do by turning the red plastic support beneth it clockwise (all the way to the right). Then oper the film gate and the film is pretty mnuch accessible. If needed you can lower the rubber pinch roller under the capstan a little bit. This should make it easier for the film to be pulled out in this area.

Any more questions welcome.

--------------------
Maurizio

Harm Jan Heling
Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 02:29 PM      Profile for Harm Jan Heling   Author's Homepage   Email Harm Jan Heling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurizio this helps a lot! I have to go through tons of reels to check films so this saves me lots of time! I once owned a Fumeo, that was much easier if I remember correctly :-)

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe Fumeo is easily unloaded but less fast than than auto-threading machines to load. Each system has its pro's and con's... And probably this particular one is one of the most debatable.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have films that need lots of checking and running partially, an editor has definite advantages over any projector for these tasks, especially for the fast easy removal of the film.

--------------------

Harm Jan Heling
Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Harm Jan Heling   Author's Homepage   Email Harm Jan Heling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right Andrew and I wished I kept one of the dozens of editors I've had :-) Maybe I'll find one if I rummage through my stuff...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 25, 2015 10:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Harm, I wouldn't be without my editor now for both checking prints as well as cleaning prints.

It's also an extremely handy tool for really good Stereo re recording purposes.

A good one of these is very handy indeed.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC