8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Movie Pak cartoon booth cartridges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Pak cartoon booth cartridges
John Huie
Junior

- posted April 03, 2015 10:40 PM      Profile for John Huie   Email John Huie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm brand new here and not a film buff. But I came across something and thought I'd do some investigating. I collect and work on 80's arcade games as a hobby. I bought a storage unit with arcade games and they had an old coin-op cartoon booth in there. Kids would put a quarter in and watch a cartoon or two on the little screen. Apparently it used the Fairchild Seventy-07 project but the projector was missing.

Anyway, I sold the cartoon booth but I still have 9 of the cartridges with no way to test them or play them. My inclination is to throw them on eBay to see what kind of interest, if any, they might garner. But I thought it would be good to find out what I can about them before doing so.

I actually bought 2 projectors with hopes of watching these but neither of them worked when I got them. I've spent too much money and energy trying to fix them and now I'm to the point where I'm going to give up.

But....is this something that would be of general interest? I believe the cartridges would cycle through and repeat without needing to be rewound. Anything I should specifically put in my eBay ad if I post them for sale? Most of the labels have fallen off. At least one has Roadrunner stuff. Here's a pic of one if I can get it to show properly:

-

--------------------
I know nothing about film!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
You may find this interesting.
http://blogs.library.ucla.edu/preservation/tag/fairchild-camera-instrument-corporation/
It seems doubtful if the cartridges you have are worth very much, even if the Super 8 film could be removed, it's quite possible that the colours will have turned a red or pink colour.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 02:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link! It's pretty much what I had to do with the Technicolor super 8 cassettes.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Videotronic loop projector that uses cartridges similar to that show, but different shape to work on my projector.
One cartrige plays as it should and the other the film snapped...I will have to wind this onta a normal super8 reel if I want to see what the film is.
The loop projectors are a great idea but they should've made a "standard design" cartridge that will play on any projector!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

John Huie
Junior

- posted April 10, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for John Huie   Email John Huie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. I had actually seen that link a while back when I was trying to research these. I was wondering if there are folks out there who still have these cartoon booths who might actually want these cartridges intact rather than unwinding them. But perhaps that's too obscure and they are all gone. Bummer. It would be very cool to reunite them with the original contraption. I'm less concerned with the value than with finding a way to get them into the hands of someone who will appreciate them. I thought that this forum, of all places, would have a chance of that happening! [Smile] Any thoughts of other places I should explore?

--------------------
I know nothing about film!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC