8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo - Melted Belt goo cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo - Melted Belt goo cleaning
Roger Faires
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Roger Faires   Email Roger Faires   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Folks,
I'm sure this has been addressed ad nauseam in these pages over the years but what is the best way and or project to remove melted belt goo from an Elmo, or any projector for that matter?

Let me guess: Patience? will that be the first response?

Thanks in advance!

Roger

|  IP: Logged

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 10:05 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Roger,

Yes you can go to the top & click on "search" and put the search words into the box and you will find many threads written about this gooey messy subject! Good luck.

Roger Out [Smile]

Roger Faires
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 10:09 AM      Profile for Roger Faires   Email Roger Faires   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Good Morning Fellow Roger,

You know that's the first time I have ever noticed that search tab. My eyes aren't what the once were. Will give it a spin.

Also, in my first post above, I mean't the word "product" not "project".

thanks, I will search

Roger

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 03:23 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get yourself a big container of cotton swabs. Use them with acetone or laquer thinner to wipe off the goo. Don't just throw the used swabs in the waste basket. Put them in a glass or can and when finished, put them in a well ventilated location to dry. Make certain your work area is well ventilated and free of any flames. Some guys use naphtha or isopropyl alcohol but it does not dissolve the goo anywhere near as well.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 05, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and don't forget the rubber gloves. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 06:25 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Janice. Also, to avoid having the dirty used tip in your fingers, when switching to using the clean tip, snip off the dirty used tip into your disposal glass or can. I will also use a hemostat forceps to hold the swab to get into tighter places.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 07:37 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is also goo-gone and goof-off these may work well too and not as harsh goo-gone has a an orange citrus smell.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 05, 2015 08:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Q-tips, Goo-Gone, and alcohol. It's still messy...but it works.

--------------------
Janice

Roger Faires
Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 08:05 AM      Profile for Roger Faires   Email Roger Faires   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks also, Barry, Janice and Jim. Shortly after I posted my initial question and first response I was thrown into a project for work and could not get back to the forum here to follow up on reading any more replies. Uggh, that work thing:(

Thank all you folks so much and since I have both Acetone and Goo Gone, I think I will do a little side by side comparison of the dreaded belt goo.

I'll let y'all know my impressions soon enough!

Best
Roger

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 19, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not use acetone Roger. It can be very harsh on any plastic gears. Alcohol works better in conjunction with goo gone.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC