8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Whats your favourite Projector Lens? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whats your favourite Projector Lens?
John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo long throw lenses were both 25-50mm focal length. The first one had an f/1.4 aperture and the later one an f/1.2.

--------------------
John Hermes

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me the Sankyo Hi Pro 1.1 15-30 zoom and the Schneider Kreuscnach 1.1
11-30 zoom. also the BolexPaillard 1.3 zoom. Like others I have limited throw so I prefer zoom lenses.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2015 02:42 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, From memory the Elmo f1.0 was just at the end of its limit from projector to screen distance, I swopped it out for the 1.2 long throw, which was as sharp and just as bright, but with about mid range on the zoom effect.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 16, 2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that a less than perfect 1.0 Elmo lens was not in focus completely across the frame. And it seemed that I had to constantly "ride" the focus as the lesser quality ones seemed to slip. I checked the machine and adjusted it and found the problem was the lens. Then I purchased a New Old Stock 1.0 in the box and it is perfect. Edge to edge sharpness and no need to refocus. Fantastic performer. I would love to try and mount the 1.0 on the Beaulieu but the lens would have to be modified or the projector and I want to keep both stock.
The 1.1 Schneider on the Beaulieu is also technically a perfect lens for that machine. Edge to edge sharpness and easy to focus. Also to my eyes almost as bright or maybe just as bright as the 1.0 Elmo lens.
When I use the Ektar lens it really is stunning. Super super sharp with shimmering grain. At a 20 ft throw the image is about 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Beautiful, beautiful...tiny image. [Frown]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 18, 2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always fancied the 1.0 however, and as mentioned on here before, the 1.1 lens is a good bright lens and also has a good sharp image, the 1.0 lens has better light output but the 1.1 is defiantly sharper and easier to focus. This was also pointed in a few magazines in years gone by. My only problem with the Elmo Lens is the fact they seem to suffer with a little lens mould on the inner front. Mine has this problem & although the image is perfectly OK I feel I am missing out on its light output.
Can anyone recommend a good photography shop that is able to take these apart and clean them?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, thought I read somewhere maybe here on the forum you can place the lens in direct sunlight for a time, and the sun uv rays destroy the fungus spores on the lens.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC