8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » keystone 98 projector missing pressure plate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: keystone 98 projector missing pressure plate?
Ben Walker
Junior

- posted April 14, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Ben Walker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

i recently purchased a keystone 98 projector from my local antique shop for when my super 8 film comes back from the developers. when i brought it home i ran a roll of test film through it to see how it ran. the film jumped and was also blurry. i did a little research andfound thst it could be the pressure plate. then i went looking for how to adjust the pressure plate and i found that other examples
had a diffrent pressure plate than the one i bought. now, this particular projector had been re-badged to a P.R.O. automatic 8z, but was still made by keystone. could keystone have put in a worse pressure plate so people would buy their name-brand projector or has it fallen off at some point?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 14, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Ben!,

This projector is not for Super-8 film, but Regular 8mm.

-the sprocket holes are a different size and it'll digest Super-8, but can't really project it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 06:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the Keystone is a super 8 projector? It sounds like it might be a standard/regular 8mm and there is a difference. The sproket holes are different. Running super 8 in a reg 8 projector would be jumpy and blurry and can damage the film. Don't run your film from the lab until you make sure you have a machine for super 8 film.

Bill [Smile]

PS Steve, you beat me to it!

Ben Walker
Junior

- posted April 14, 2015 07:29 PM      Profile for Ben Walker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
originally i thought it was a super 8/regular 8 projector and all i had to do was buy the reel adapters because the sprocket teeth were square as opposed to rectangular if it were 8mm only. now i8m afraid that i am going to ask a dumb question and ask if there would have been a switch on the outside of the projector used to switch between the two formats?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 07:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it would have had a switch to alternate formats. I cannot post a link but if you go to Phil's Classic Movies on his site he has a pretty informative explanation of the two formats.

Hope that helps!

Bill [Smile]

Ben Walker
Junior

- posted April 14, 2015 09:01 PM      Profile for Ben Walker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
right, looks like this is going up for sale soon. thanks for the help, everyone.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC