8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S 709 roll call

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S 709 roll call
Gus Mikszan
Junior

- posted April 16, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Gus Mikszan   Email Gus Mikszan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at picking one of these up. Found one locally that seems to be in decent shape. Wanted to see if anyone here has the manual in English that they'd be willing to share. Just want to make sure that everything I need is present according to the manual.

What are the key components needed accessory-wise to have a complete system? Which of those are absolutely necessary. I'd also be willing to hear people's thoughts and concerns regarding this projector. Thanks, I'm sure this is my first of many posts. I'm getting into super 8 pretty hardcore as of late.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 16, 2015 09:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projector like this is pretty self contained, as long as it has all the parts it came from the factory with it's ready to go.

Accessories? A spare lamp (or several) will keep you in business. The ones for this machine seem to be common, which is a deal breaker if it's not. Obviously a screen: easy enough to improvise for a while.

I'm not having much luck finding a manual for this one. The critical thing is learning how to clean the gate. I have one of the Eumig 800 series machines and if you don't align the inching knob before you take the gate plates out you can damage the claw and kill the machine as a result. I'm not sure if this applies to yours too.

I have that Eumig (my first sound machine) and my Elmos. The Elmos have better sound and a much easier to access film path, but by the same token in the 13 years I've had it I've basically never had any trouble with the Eumig.

The Eumig has more hum in the audio, but other than that the sound actually is pretty decent. If you can deal with the hum or learn not to let it bother you it's still pretty good!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gus Mikszan
Junior

- posted April 17, 2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Gus Mikszan   Email Gus Mikszan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve! Thanks for the reply. Well now that I've got you on the horn, do you recommend any affordable, reliable sound projectors that can easily be put back into use for another 20 years or so? That's really what I'm looking for. The focus is on Super 8 but I like the way the Mark S series deal with the dual formats.

I want an easily obtainable, reliable, variable speed projector with decent, reliable sound reproduction (including the components that may go over the years). Not trying to break the bank but would consider an investment of $200 or so to get something that I'll be happy with for years to come.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 17, 2015 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if variable speed is your thing, then Eumig is the best choice.

Lately, I've been messing around a lot with my Bolex SP-80 special (just a relabeled Eumig 800 series) and I have to say I'm respecting it.

The joy of this is the Eumig name carries some weight as far as selling price, but they were prone to sell to other brands.

I saw a GAF model recently that was obviously another Eumig 800 series operating under-cover, but at face value this would probably sell much cheaper.

If you could find one, this could be a great buy:

GAF 2800

For right or wrong seeing "GAF" often gives we film folk a shudder. Actually some of their re-branded stuff was very good!

Any machine you choose should probably be a common one: there's always a greater probability of finding parts when (not "if") something goes wrong.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC