8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 102-Year-Old Lady Sees Herself Dance On Film For The First Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 102-Year-Old Lady Sees Herself Dance On Film For The First Time
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2015 02:19 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sweet story and also a reminder of why we should care for all our films.

102-year-old Alice Barker was a chorus line dancer during the Harlem Renaissance of the 1930s and 40s. She thought all the footage of her dancing had been destroyed, but with the help of Jazz on Film, Barker was finally able to relive all that jazz!

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2015 02:35 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent !!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a fantastic little video I watched it twice and it made me smile each time. Great to see the lady herself so immersed in the footage and gradually remembering long forgotten anecdotes from back in the day.

Very heart warming.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it to. Very heart-warming! It's quite possible that she might not have seen all of these films. These might have been filmed for "white" audiences and shown at theaters back then that would only allow white people. It's a sad fact of history, but it's true.

There were also black only movie theaters, (I saw a very good documentary about the history of black films and movie theaters on PBS), and if these weren't distributed to black only movie theaters, than it is totally possible that she really didn't see these.

At any rate, those visits sure made that 102 year old ladies day!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC